Ice Out in the Adirondacks

Sounds like a nice ride
Lunch was by the beach at Mirror Lake, by any chance? What a nice place!

We are heading to Fish Creek in mid May for a long weekend, can’t wait to go up the Floodwood trip again.

Thank you
It sounds like we may be getting pretty good by the 24th, I thank you for the information. The Web Cam at Paul Smith’s looks very good, but I suppose the lakes are a little slower. Be up there in a little more than two weeks!

THEY’RE OPEN!
Come’n get it.

Open water ???
From the top of Ampersand 2 days past all I could see was thick ice still on lakes. Rivers are open, however (Also paddled Raquette from Stoney Creek bridge to the state boat launch.)

Better bring an axe if you wanna paddle the lakes or ponds !

NOT YET!
Pretty soon, though.

Gordon

White
and Otter lake on rt28 a few miles south of Old Forge are wide open.I very surprised to hear your waters are still froze up.Theres not much difference in altitude and temps between these areas.

Still got ice
…but not for long. Those lakes are on the fringe of the Mohawk Valley. The interior Adirondacks are a refridgerator. But the red maples are flowering! Any day now…

Gordon

I can be patient
We’ll be up May 11.

Hmmm
May 11 you wont have ice but you better have plenty of good repelant.Black flys and skeeters will be in full swing.Hate the little b…'s!!!

that’s why I mentioned
the small window of opportunity. I’ve been up then when it wasn’t too bad and hoping for the same this year.

GONE!
At least it was where I paddled yesterday: Polliwog, Little Polliwog, Horseshoe, and Follensby. Lake Clear had some black ice on it which will probably be gone today.

Gordon

Ice Out
Thank you one and all for your contributions, it has been fun to watch the discussion and to imagine the time frame this year. We watched webcams from Paul Smiths, but nothing like first hand information. The ranger told me Saturday that they had iced out on maybe Tuesday or Wednesday, and we’ll be out this Sunday evening. Unfortunately, it seems as though the weather is going to move from pleasant to threatening. The gods of the Adirondacks are still in control.

Ice Out?
Just wondering how you made out on your trip and where you ended up going? We’re heading up to Lake Lila in a couple of weeks and would be interested in any information you can pass along.

Thanks!

rain delay
First trip to a remote pond was great but fishing was terrible n the water was pretty high. Did a solo pond trip camping for 2 nights and had nice weather and wind conditions but no fish. Usually get nice brook trout there. Now with this heavy rain the fishing will be off for a spell. Still will be in Saranac in 1st week of May. Paddlefest too!