ICF Zephyr Maxi K-2

Just picked up this boat on loan from a friend who’s selling it. Googled it, but could find nothing, unlike the other flatwater K-2s (Foxbat, Mirage, etc.)

Have tried the Foxbat, Kirton boats, etc. but haven’t paddled this one yet-need to give it a scrub down first. Curious-Anyone know anything about it?

South Africa made
I never heard of this boat but a little research showed that it was probably made by Roamer Rand in South Africa which is now Kayak Racing. An old design that was replaced by the Apollo K2. http://www.kayakracing.co.za/kayaks/index.php?display=racing

K2
Mark, are you paddling this K2 and will you bring it up to any of the NECKRA races? What’s the asking price? Pam

K-2
Pam,

I’ve yet to try it. It’s on the rough side, was stored under a deck, and I gave it a good scrubbing. Turns out it is a Roamer Rand S. African made boat, intended for Int-Adv. river use, made in 9/97. Interestingly, it uses aluminum ‘gas pedals’ instead of a tiller bar for steering-beyond that, it’s a pretty conventional setup.

She only wants $350 for it, so Jim, Steve and I may pick it up for something to play with. No plans to race it. We paddled Joe Shaw’s Foxbat last week though and had a blast. I wanted to find someone to do the Blackburn with me in my Seda Tango tandem, but no luck. Having a companion right there could make the miles go by in a more entertaining manner. Plus the boat’s so big, you could bring some tunes, a mini fridge…

K2 in Blackburn
Mark, I think you can still change classes. I know a couple of the Charles River paddlers who didn’t get their entries in on time. You could join our egroup charlesriverrace@yahoogroups or I could put you in touch with them. Tom Clemow and William Prates are two good paddlers that might be available, one has been in the Foxbat, one has been in a Cobra, both should be able to handle a double sea kayak. I might consider switching classes if they weren’t available. For $350 you should keep the ICF K2 with the Mickey Mouse pedals, we need more at the races. Pam