Icom IC-M88 12 volt charger?

-- Last Updated: Jun-13-04 8:04 AM EST --

Does anyone know if the Icom IC-M88 VHF radio is availabe with a 12 volt cigarette lighter charger? This would be needed for long trips.

If so, where can I find it?

come on now, use us well!
(This is not the first time I written this to you)

I searched “Icom vhf radio” on google (no quotes).

Icom america comes up s the first hit.

Two clicks later and you come up with this file:

http://www.icomamerica.com/brochures/ic-m88.pdf look under options, look at (cp-17L) then call customer service to see about availability direct from Icom, or call a discount shop like defender etc, or whoever you want.

Discounts on accessories are difficult to find in my experience.

A little initiative on your part perhaps?

Radio Shack
You can go to Radio Shack (or any other electronics store) and buy an inverter that plugs into the cig lighter and will power ANY 110 appliance.

Perhaps you know the ICOM site better
I spent over an hour researching this on Goggle, the ICOM site and various dealers before I posted in frustration.

I still do not know how you found this link as there is no “brochures” link at ICOM that I could find.

Thanks for your help.

I searched “Icom vhf radio” on google (no quotes).

Icom america comes up s the first hit.

Two clicks later and you come up with this file:

http://www.icomamerica.com/brochures/ic-m88.pdf look under options, look at (cp-17L) then call customer service to see about availability direct from Icom, or call a discount shop like defender etc, or whoever you want.

A little initiative on your part perhaps?

Recharge Battery
I do not simply wish to power the radio but recharge the battery. Usually rechargers limit the current and voltage to prevent damage to the battery. Does the radio shack device do this? Is it made to fit the ICOM connector?

Thanks

More Info
After reading the pdf at ICOM I see the 12 volt plugs into the recharging base. I wonder if the Radio Shack’s connector fits?

Not to sound “redundant”, but…
You now have a “lead” on where & what. Go to Radio Shack, ask the clerk & check it out for yourself… Most “universal” items are just that- “universal”. If it works, who cares what the ID tag says… I have a portable DVD player for my truck with a “no frills, no name” gizmo that runs the sound through my truck speakers. It does what I need it to do & 9 out of 10, I am paying more attention to the movie than the sound gizmo to worry about it.

I understand your concern for the “charge &/or power” option. I think the person at Radio Shack (or wherever) would be able to help you with that too.

Paddle easy,

Coffee

OPC-515L 12v Recharging Cord
After reading the pdf, the cp-17L is used to directly power the unit from 12 volts.

One needs the OPC-515L to power the recharger.

http://www.icomamerica.com/brochures/ic-m88.pdf

look under options, look at (cp-17L) then call customer service to see about availability direct from Icom, or call a discount shop like defender etc, or whoever you want.

Differences between adaptors
The ICOM site pdf above lists 3 12v adaptors. The first is to directly power the unit and has a noise filter. The other two are designed to plug into the recharging base to recharge the battery. There are two differnet recharging cables depending on the recharging base.

Seems you have two options
Get the ICOM 12v that plugs into your exisiting base (will have whatever connector it needs), or

get a 12v to 110/120v adaper (Radio Shack) your car - and plug your 110v ICOM base into that. Conector is not and issue - the Radio shack will have cig lighter plug on one end - regular two-prong 110v plug on teh other.

The only differnce is you can also plug other 110v devices into the Radio Shack unit.

Get a cigarette plug doubler and you can have both!

Fillling the gaps
when I went to the site I clicked products, marine handheld m88 (my google search got me a couple of clicks closer) Usually on a modern site you will find the manuals or brochures under the product page, (though sometimes under “downloads” on computer related sites)

Notice I told you something to look at, not that it would solve your problem. The options sections seems uselessly complex and badly written to me, that’s why I suggested Icom’s customer service as the next step.

If you buy something fron radio shack, make sure it is rated for electronics. there are various classes of transformers, some give filtered power, some give less filtered power. I have a friend who fried a notebook in Japan because he bought a general travel adapter fron radio shack in stead of one that gave proper power for notebooks and sensitive electroncs (which they also sell). IN the hands of an intelligent service person in a radio shack you will do well, in the hands of an unknowledgeable salesperson you must spent time fending for yourself.

I bet you’ll end up with the ICom opc 515L and a cigarette lighter plug from radio shack.

Good luck.

Behind the madness
Thanks for the help in getting me to the right spot. It was not from lack of trying!

I will call ICOM tomorrow. If I were running it from my car I would order the filtered cigarette plug from ICOM. I would not risk using an unfiltered plug from radio shack. I will probably do this.

I am looking ahead and want to do some long trips. I like electronics and on a trip it seems VHF radios would be so helpful. I was wondering how to re-charge them (and GPS units) on a long trip.

Wal-Mart sells a small unit for starting the car with a dead battery. It has a gell cell battery inside. It has a light and cigarette lighter plug on it. Once you have the 12v adaptors then you use a Radio Shack splitter to charge both units while sleeping. If you have 2 splitters you can power a 12v Coleman florescent lantern (which I have and have done during power outages). In this situation you still need the right plugs from the company but do not need filtering. Radio Shack plugs would be fine for the other end.

brunton has some neet solar stuff out

– Last Updated: Jun-14-04 12:22 AM EST –

but that means you might only be able to charge when you are stopped. if you look up brunton and solar you will find them quick enough.

A 12 volt solar charger from brunton runs about $300. ouch. The do make small AA battery chargers though

here is a $170 panel that comes with a lighter socket: at 10 watts it might be fast enough charge a radio.

http://www.cetsolar.com/cet5.htm

Mirage of australia had even fitted out a boat or two with an intregal solar panel. Hmm. Rig that to your gel cell device during the day, then charge off the gel cell at night.

I have often wondered about using a couple of smaller aa chargers in a clear dry bag on the back deck, with a big ziplock inside to back it up. cheapest solution I can think of.

I have also considered your gel cell solution. Not a bad way to go, things should charge quickly at night. Perhaps all you really need is a big 12 V gel cell and some terminals and leads to hook up to it. make sure you are carrying enough power to make it go, if you do not go solar.

Extra LIMH radio batteries are expensive!

if you get a dozen or two AA nimh batteries and are constantly running two or three small solar chargers this might be a good option. then you need a radio which is waterproof while running with aa batteries, (not all are; check carefully)

Info on the state of the art AA

– Last Updated: Jun-14-04 12:19 AM EST –

battery charger system (the batteries have a chip inside):

http://www.rayovac.com/15minutes/QA.html#11

This and that ten watt solar panel would solve the power needs of anything coming off AA batteries.

As far as AA chargers go nothing compares.

but if you went solar with the bruntons you could just secure them to your back deck and charge constantly. Cheaper.

radio shack sells the ic3 system; only the four position one comes with the car cord. (check to make sure first)

It will charge your unit
You plug your home/office charger into this device (inverter if my memory is correct) and it charges the unit just like it was plugged into your home wall outlet.

Inverters
I have used inverters (convert 12v DC to 110v AV) before. They can be energy inefficient.

From ICOM
The M-88 is indeed listed on our web site under Marine handheld radios.

You can use the CP-17L cigarette lighter adapter to plug into the

charging cradle. The plug goes into the same location that you would

normally plug the wall charger into. You can purchase this item through

our parts department. Their e-mail address is: parts@icomamerica.com.

Hope this will help.

Technical Support Representative

ICOM America, Inc.

2380 116th Ave. NE

Bellevue, WA 98004

Ph. (425) 454-7619

Fax (425) 637-8417

www.icomamerica.com

Maybe someone who is smarter than I
can tell you whether the 17-L or the 515 + a lighter plug is the way to go. If you do make something up yourself get the polarities right. Check it vs the suplied transformer with a meter (be sure not to short). You will not get much noise connected to a battery unless there is an engine or something else connnected to the syetem. Also I do not know if a direct connection to a high amperage battery is a good thing, or whether is is just voltage and the draw of the device that matters. If the price is fairly close the 17L sound god to me.

I am beginning to regret not being an electrical engineer. A friend of mine has a really good project going on with wind power right now.

Solar not Wind
"I am beginning to regret not being an electrical engineer. A friend of mine has a really good project going on with wind power right now."

For a kayak, solar and a gelcel battery would be the way to go. The solar charger would have to be regulated to not damage the battery. Wind turbines are great for sailboats.

no that project is on land
not on a boat. Land happens you know ;-).