Idea: kayak transport. Would it work?

Good points,
Then no money will be involved.

I agree about the “need to know” basis. In fact, on the dog transports I do, they e-mail you relevant info and have “CONFIDENTIAL, NOT TO BE SHARED”, etc. all over it. License plate numbers, etc. are only shared with the transport immediately before and after.

Is it an idea worth trying? I’d like to.

I usually post
if I am doing a trip and offer to take a boat along. Picked up a kayak for Barracuda in Wisconsin once and hauled it back to Sacramento for him.

Well, we’re about to come up on spring.
It’s probably the biggest time for boat purchases. I don’t know anything about Yahoo groups, but we could definitely model this after the dog rescue transport as it’s tried and true. Setting up “hubs” would be a good start, but without volunteer drivers checking in periodically to see if they can help, this falls apart quick. How do we grab they’re attention? Do we set this up lke a message board? Maybe this could be linked with p-net’s “Getting Together & Going Paddling” message baord?

I might be able to help.
I have website space - design them too. Being in central IA, we don’t have a ton of used boat traffic but there are a number of us frantically looking. Funny you mention this; I was trying to recruit some folks that might be headed from Northern MN this way to haul a boat for me.

I think it would be a pretty easy setup - of course there are some chances. Heck, might even be able to get some paddling/outdoor accessory companies to sponsor the site.

No I am not a regular poster on this site but I like the idea and there are a few people who are regular posters who know me.

freight lines
Charge $138 from Norhern Ohio to Central Virginia. You can’t buy the gas for that.

I agree with tsunamichuck, if you’re going on a trip let people know. There was a poster here a few days ago offering to p/u boats along I-95 from New England to Florida, in exchange for gas money. Good deal.

I’m heading from Virginia to Wisconsin first week of March, and Virginia to Oregon last week of April. Sure would like to carry a few boats in exchange for gas money.

Andy

Here’s the paddler traveling I-95
http://www.paddling.net/message/showThread.html?fid=meet&tid=812664

That’s a really nice offer
Let’s see what some other people say.

Here are my (revised) thoughts:

Let’s classify two types of transports. I’ll call them “single driver” and “multi driver”. Single driver meaning a person is going from Ohio to Florida (for example) and offers to carry a boat the whole distance for someone.

Multi drivers meaning that although it may be a long distance (let’s use the same Ohio to Florida example), instead of one person doing all the driving, it’s a number of people doing an hour or two in the car each way - multiple shorter trips. As someone pointed out, this probably isn’t easily workable because:

1. Too many people to screen (potential fraud, bad drivers).
  2. Odds of enough people just happening to be going to a certain place on a certain day… not great.
  3. Who compensates the buyer if someone damages or loses the boat en route? Homeowner’s insurance should cover it, but the buyer’s still out the deductible. Too risky, especially with multiple hand-offs.
  4. As someone pointed out, freight charges aren’t THAT steep, and this isn’t a charity operation (like the dog rescue thing is). So why would people offer to do that driving if it didn’t benefit them or they weren’t already going that way?

However, for the “one driver” situation, I’m thinking a Yahoo group might be perfect for this. They offer a bulletin board, e-mail delivery (or not, your choice) and you can set up a database of available drivers.

Another idea
Setting something up with someone else to pick up and store for future pickup. This could work in tandem with the actual transportation. Provides flexibility and time to set up the logistics of the transport.

Be nice if P.net could set up a “Bulletin Board”

That perfect boat, your looking for, and found it in the P.net classifieds. But it’s 1000 miles away. With some loose system in place, it may be a viable option.

Andy

I think we’re on the same line
of thinking. My scenario is something like this:

A person in northern Michigan buys a boat from San Fransisco. Tsunamichuck is planning a trip to Detoit and volunteers his services from Reno to Detroit via I80 and I94. Another volunteers his services from Fort Wayne, IN to Traverse City, but he’s making his trip the following week. Well, the seller or another p-netter provide transportation to Reno, Chuck takes it as far as Kalamazoo, MI and drops it with me, a week later the driver from Ft Wayne picks it up on his way to TC VIA US131 where the buyer takes possession. In the end, the buyer and seller might still have to drive a little to get the chain started and ended, but none of the volunteers are really inconvenienced in drive time or distance.

Tsunamichuck is proof, however rare, that there are people in our little community willing to do this out of the goodness of their hearts. I know others have offered too, but the instances escape me right now. Also, Canoecopia and the Quiet Water Symposium are just around the corner and these are HUGE chances to link chains.

Jim

Scudder

I like that
and think it could work.

There are people around here who have been so kind as to transport boats for me. Rroberts (actually he arranged it via his buddy Ronzo) and DCC Jon (Dayton Canoe Club) were very helpful in getting kayaks to me from Alabama and Wisconsin.

Wouldn’t hurt to set up a Yahoo Group and just see if people use it. It’s free and easy to use, so why not?

I’ve done
the pick up and store for someone here on P.net. Worked out great. I kept the canoe in my yard covered for about a month.

Andy

Several already offer both
Point 65 for example.

They overlap in function somewhat, but do it in different ways, and also do different things - so it makes a lot more sense that it might seem to many.

Well, I did it!
I’ll post a separate subject in the Discussion Forum, but I started a Yahoo Group called “Kayak Transport”. Wish I could’ve thought of something more catchy, but hey, it’s functional.

Please join if you have any interest. I set it up to be moderated just because I thought maybe it would be easier to screen members… make sure we keep scammers out. Having said that, I can take no personal responsibility for that.

Go to http://groups.yahoo.com

Query “Kayak Transport” and you should find the group easily enough. You must have a yahoo ID (e-mail) to participate, but it’s easy to set up, and free.

Questions, comments?

Very tempting
I just saw an Ocean Kayak Sprinter for sale in Delaware for $200. Ok, I’ve already got a Sprinter, but they’re not imported anymore and they’re great boats! And it’s only $200!! Cheap tranportation would make it even more interesting.

Sigh.

Donna,
I’m in if anyone needs me. I am in Columbia SC and an hour from 95. I go to florida at least three times a year, and sometimes Atlanta or Savannah qne of course Charleston.

Paul

Paul
Wonderful! It would be great if you could sign up on the Yahoo group and just input your info. But if you don’t want to (for whatever reason), just send me your e-mail address and, with your permission, I will add some general info to the database so people can contact you if needed.

This is coming along quite nicely… already have a few members.

Redmond
Funny, I was just looking at a Sprinter online not too long ago… I think it was on e-bay. As I recall, it’s a long, relatively narrow SOT, right? I like SOTs and I recall thinking that would be pretty fast for a SOT, yet not tippy like the surf skis. Very cool.

Donna
The Sprinter is like an introductory surfski. It’s relatively tippy and very fast, especially for a SOT. It can also handle Class I-II whitewater, but it’s a handful in the Class II stuff. Definitely my favorite boat. Here are some photos:

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/559916524VBwAGR

Geez, if that’s Class II
then I’m downgrading the Great Miami to Class I. At least in MY book.

Interesting hat. :slight_smile: Let the Tilley Club eat their hearts out!

Very cool looking boat; I especially like the bow entry. Looks like it would slice through the water pretty well.