"Ideal" Weight Range?

What exactly does “ideal weight” mean?

I have a chance to get a really good deal on the Jackson FUN kayak. However it’s specs indicate that the ideal weight is 135-180 lbs. I’m 6’2", 230 lbs. so I am way out of that range. I know you would recommend a bigger size but this is a really good deal for the FUN. What would happen if I got in FUN being so far outside the weight range? Would it just not work at all? Sink? OR could I still make it work but it just wouldn’t be ideal?

Here’s the spec info page. Look under FUN (with no numbers)

http://jacksonkayak.com/jk-kayaks/whitewater-kayak/2010-fun-series/specs/

At least see if it fits
That’s a tiny boat, and by my way of thinking it would be a real slug with you inside, but wait for others to comment on that as I’m just applying my experience with a few boats that I’d call small, even though they are a lot bigger than that.

Make sure you can even fit in the thing before getting too excited about it. I once attended a rolling class and relied on a borrowed boat. There were about 15 whitewater kayaks there to choose from, all of which were larger than this one, and for all but one, you couldn’t have gotten me inside with a shoe horn. The one boat that I did succeed in cramming myself into was huge as whitewater boats go (we first had to remove the bulkhead “filler pad” that made the boat fit its owner, and at that point the legroom was as great as it could ever be, and I had terrible bruises on my thighs after an hour of rolling training because I was packed in there so tightly. I’m 6’1" (used to be 6’2"), and only weigh 165. A person with more “padding” on their butt would never have fit.

I don’t paddle that boat,or playboat

– Last Updated: Jan-21-15 4:00 PM EST –

but I'd be surprised if you even fit in it. Assuming you do fit (the Fun series is pretty spacious and has more volume than some other playboats) you might find yourself looking at the sky a bit. Meaning the boat may have a tendency when overweighted, to be stern heavy and you will bob somewhat vertically in current (with the stern sinking somewhat). It all depends on what your idea of "fun" is. Its actually pretty important to get a playboat that fits well and is made for your weight. They're more sensitive to these changes than riverrunners or creekers. Get a boat that's too big and the intended tricks and design features won't work. Get a boat that is too small and just getting in the thing and paddling it becomes a trick.

My two cents
First I have no experience with play boats. My short kayak is a 12’ flat hulled fishing kayaking. That said your “ideal weight range” is based off of the designed water line (where the kayak is supposed to ride in the water) and definitely impacts performance. If you can test it before you buy it that’d be a good idea, if not I would decide if it’s a good enough deal that you’re ok if it doesn’t handle that well and you find yourself reselling it later.

Moving into a new class of ww
This is going to be a ww boat for rapids? You’re going to likely, quickly discover your more involved with the water than you anticipated. Your weight range will likely turn this into a Squirt Boat, or close anyway.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squirt_boating

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=St_izep5eaQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bg4aS-dO6Nc

Got nose plugs?

See you on the water,

Marshall

The River Connection, Inc.

Hyde Park, NY

www.the-river-connection.com

No Fun
At your weight, that boat will be way overloaded - to the point that every tiny cross current will grab the edges and try to flip you. Playboats are unforgiving enough when sized correctly. Two sizes too small will be a miserable experience, especially if you’re a beginner.

ideal weight
is the range where the boat will work for you and not against you

I had an old Lazer years ago and was seeing way more fish than I wanted. It was too small for me though I did fit in it.

if you want FUN find another boat… otherwise the FUN will have an adjective next to it.

Change Screen Name to SternSquirt
Probably best to take a whitewater lesson and a rolling class before you go looking to buy a boat.

Used whitewater boats are cheap. Other bargains that fit you will come along.

Weight Range

– Last Updated: Jan-21-15 7:50 PM EST –

The recommended weight range is to let you know the weight that that boat is designed to carry for the boat to preform as intended by its designer. In this case EJ. Your too heavy for it!

do you have ww background?
Most folks who are likely to enjoy a play boat like this also understand the severe deficit you get in desired performance by going so over the weight range. If this is a serious question, mine is whether you really want a ww playboat to start with. Without some decent skills even properly fitted boats can be a handful, and this is a boat that is nothing but a headache on flat water.