Identifying a Wenonah Canoe

Serial number on Wenonah Kevlar canoe is SD626H484

I believe it to be a sundowner model. Can one tell what year it is by the serial number?

Thanks

Brian

Wenonahs are MFP

– Last Updated: Sep-08-16 10:55 PM EST –

not SD. They did not use letters to denote their models

The Manufacturers Identification Code is the first three characters which are always letters.

The last two are the year

According to this http://hindecoder.com/

that is an invalid HIN probably cause its missing the third letter.

last two digits of the serial number

Or fewer letter inserts into the minus first letter code on your hull searched Axxxxxxxxx84 canoe manufacturers identification code …

Your off !

Not right
That is either not the HIN or the canoe is not a Wenonah.

The first three characters of the HIN are the Manufacturer’s Identification Code (MIC). The MIC for Wenonah Canoe is MFP. All Wenonah boats have an HIN that begins with MFP.

OOPS Did not have it all
Sorry, it was dark out…i didn’t get it all.

The tag says Wenonah Canoes

Mod # sun

Serial # MFP SD626H484

So am I correct in interpreting this as a Sundowner 17ft that was made in 1984?

With no significant damage, small visible repairs…what might this be worth?

Thanks

Brian

Hull Length
In the early 80"s the Sundowner was only an 18’ canoe. the shorter version was first called the Echo and then it became the 16’6" Sundowner and then it was enlarged to 17’. The tag for the renamed Echo was still stamped EC and not SD. Many people miss the letters MFP for the manufacturer on the HIN plate because Wenonah printed those letters and stamped the individual model and serial number information. the stamped letters stay, but the printed letter wear off.

I’ve got a follow up question here. Looking at a used canoe online, HIN MFP Ec492j889. So it’s a 1989 boat, manufactured Oct of '88. The HIN lookup @ppine posted found it, but is uncertain of model - either “JENSEN or RENDEZVOUS or SUNDOWNER or ODYSSEY or SPIRITII”. Seller lists length at 16.6ft, it’s white on the outside and tan/beige on the inside with what look like foam ribs in the hull. Wood gunnels/deck plates. Its lines, from my limited experience, look more like a tripping/rec boat and not a racing boat. Plastic bucket seats, the bow seat is on sliders. Any guesses on model and layup?

Not an Odyssey… That one is 18’6"
Nor a Rendezvous. That is a solo boat. 15’9"

Spirit II is 17’ I believe

Sundowner came in a few lengths 16’6" was one.

A picture would be a big help.

1 Like

Looks like Wenonah had an Echo (aka Sundowner) model that was 16’6", which seems plausible with this. The Echo page doesn’t indicate the layups it came in, however.

https://wenonah.com/Retired/Echo.aspx

It could be kevlar with glass reinforcement. For sure its not ultra lite. Gel coat exterior. It needs work as you know. Likely it was a kevlar /glass combo . Those boats aren’t the lightest but are tough. But need to be stored off the ground!

Good to know, thanks. I’ll probably pass on it - the price is low but I really don’t need another project, and I already have a couple royalex boats that fall in the tough but heavy category.