Identifying old canoe

Hi. I just acquired a lovely old Mohawk canoe. (Nice lady was clearing out a shed and gave it to me.) Serial number suggests it was made in 1991, but that’s all I’ve figured out so far. It’s small (about 9’), very light, and (I think) made of fiberglass with aluminum gunwales. Can you tell me any more about it? Perhaps a model name? There doesn’t appear to have been a seat in it, just a single thwart. Am I missing anything? Is it feasible or advisable to add a seat? Or is it better to sit in the bottom and keep the center of gravity low? Our primary use will likely be a single paddler on a small, quiet lake. I appreciate any advice.
Thanks!

I don’t know that model but cool little canoe!
As for no seat, you might have better luck getting a pad and kneeling in it.

1 Like

Thanks. My son took it out for a test ride (in the rain) this morning. We intended it for my husband who’s of slighter build, but I’m not sure we’ll keep the kid out of it. He has his own kayak, but he loves this little thing.

1 Like

Looks like a pack canoe and you would probably get the best performance using a double blade (kayak) paddle. I had a couple layers of foam to sit on and at least some pipe insulation on the thwart to lean against and enjoy!

1 Like

You can sit, add a pad and kneel if you are young enough.
You could add a saddle or a kayak type seat.
Because the canoe is so shallow, a canoe seat would not be so good.
consider a kneeling thwart.

1 Like

Old Mohawk canoe owner here too. Finding info about different models is a challenge. I can tell you that they were made in Longwood, FL and that’s about it. Enjoy it!!!

Update: back to camp and measured the boat. It’s 10’8”, a bit bigger than the lady who gave it to me said. Hubby took it for a quick spin and loves it! (Thank you random stranger!) Now to find the model info…