Idol/Radius & Greenland rolling

@Celia said:
As above, the concept of never coming out of the boat needs to be paired with the conditions someone is paddling in and the paddler’s preparation for them. I don’t like these blanket statements. I certainly hope someone pinned against a rock or a strainer in WW would come out of their boat.

I don’t feel deficient for coming out of my boat my earlier sessions in surf. Rather I am pleased with the fact that I ultimately managed to stay in thru the disorientation and go for a credible roll twice.

I don’t feel deficient for not having the body feel to figure out my place relative to the wave motion that knocked me down in both those attempts. So I ultimately had to exit because I was out of air and oomph. I feel better for subsequently learning how I should have executed things differently. I would be thrilled if I get another crack at it and succeed. (Haven’t been in real surf since then.)

I know of at least one pretty expert Greenland roller, who has been invited to do some informal coaching. But all of their work is in ponds and protected flat water. I would never expect them to be as solid a roller in waves, surf or strong wind. Were I to meet up to paddle with them in those conditions, I would have my rescue gear handy. I am personally all too aware of how conditions can change ones ability to respond.

I kinda went a completely opposite way with a surfski. Coming out of that boat and climbing back in after a season of regular practice is easy so I don’t need to think twice. Fall out if I have too, climb back in.
I personally don’t believe in a bombproof roll. At least I am yet to see that with my paddling buddies. There’s always this “I was tired and couldn’t roll up” or “I can’t roll as well with my new paddle/boat”.