If your next kayak was free what would it be?

For you folks who are into the Stellers, don’t overlook the Intrepid.

I would like a 22’ x 24" tandem. Real light exotic layup. Hopefully 80 lb. would be nice. Seaward Passat G3 is about as close as I can see for dimensions but it is 26" wide. No clue how light they can make one in carbon kevlar as they don’t vacuum bag their boats.

Definitely want to try a ski and canoe this year.

@PaddleDog52 said:
I would like a 22’ x 24" tandem. Real light exotic layup. Hopefully 80 lb. would be nice. Seaward Passat G3 is about as close as I can see for dimensions but it is 26" wide. No clue how light they can make one in carbon kevlar as they don’t vacuum bag their boats.

Mega is building 60lb doubles, might be a pain to get one to the states. http://www.megakayaks.co.uk/product.php?productid=17696

I have a Passat G3, pretty sweet boat has the huge center hatch, which is where it must be 26 inches. Otherwise by the cockpits it’s about as wide as a typical single. The layup is solid but heavy. I got a seat for the center hatch for our toddler.

@Chodups said:
Without question…Sterling Progression with carbon layup.
sterlingskayak.com/progression.html
I am too big for the Progression. I’d go for the Sterling Reflection.

@Peter-CA said:
I am too big for the Progression. I’d go for the Sterling Reflection.

Good call!

Mega Yikes 22’ x 22.5" and 66 lb with hatches that is a dream boat. Thing should really be fast with two paddles. 3100 dollars I like too…

@Johnysmoke said:

@PaddleDog52 said:

Mega is building 60lb doubles, might be a pain to get one to the states. http://www.megakayaks.co.uk/product.php?productid=17696

I have a Passat G3, pretty sweet boat has the huge center hatch, which is where it must be 26 inches. Otherwise by the cockpits it’s about as wide as a typical single. The layup is solid but heavy. I got a seat for the center hatch for our toddler.

How fast is the Passat with two good paddlers? What does it cruise at?

The Passat is pretty fast, probably cruises around 5-6, but I have no way to back that up.

try https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.endomondo.android&hl=en in your smart phone it is free and it tracks you and show your route and speed. Free app works great if you have a GPS signal on your phone.

nothing really jumps out at me for a :“dream boat”. i wonder if I could single stick a duck like the “Soar squirt”. with my bad knees. kneeling for very long. Can’t rationalize the expense to find out. Really not pining over any boat, I dream about river and lakes but boats are just the vehicle that provide access to the adventure.

Tough choices. I have a solid fleet, already. Either a Tide Race Pace 18, or a Pamlico 140. Hard to beat the 140.

I bought a $250 kayak a while back. It came with a paddle and paddle float. Then I purchased about $1,000 worth of accessories. Cockpit cover, skirt, pump, rack, and Kayak specific PFD were shortly followed by rash guards, wet suits, gloves, etc. There are no free boats.

However my project list includes reworking two canoes, a Shearwater Sport and a Petrel. The Petrel, a strip boat, is for the wife and cost more than the others. Thus it is a Petrel.

Limiting my list to Kayaks, my #1 boat is a tossup between:
Epic V10 Sport (20’x19")
Stellar SR (19’x19")
Epic V10 Double (25’x19").

If all boats are open game, then its a toss up between
Crozier V1 or Savage River JD ProII (tandem pro racing canoe) in 30lb carbon ultralight layup
Savage River DIIIx (solo pro racing canoe) in 30lb carbon ultralight layup,
Epic V10/Stellar SR in 26lb carbon/kevlar layup.

I want all equally, so I’d have to spin a wheel to decide which to take first.

For the 22’ x 22.5’ fast tandem kayak, check out the new V8 double:
http://www.epickayaks.com/article/article/new-epic-v8-double
No hatches, but would move very nicely and is extremely beginner friendly being a SOT style surfski.