Impex Force 4 vs Currituck

I’m still up in the air on these two boats and I would love to get some additional feedback from some of you guys who have paddled both. Your opinions on their “personalities” in various conditions…speed, turning ability, etc. I think they are going to be close, but I guess I would like some additional opinions and input between the two.

limited experience with both
but I think the Force 4 is the better all around kayak. The Currituck is a great kayak and a bit more forgiving. The Force 4 was designed for bigger water and rougher seas, which means it will do well in calm water as well. The only thing I really don’t like about the Force Series is the low fore deck - I had to keep my legs straighter than I like.

Depends on who you are too.
Currituck would make a better “convoluted shoreline” boat and the Cat4 a better A-B boat. Both turn easy enough and track well enough for most environs though. I thought the Currituck was a better fit out of the box than the Cat4, though neither were really good fits for me (I’m 5’7", 30"inseam, 10.5W shoe, 160# for camparison). The Cat4 was WAY too high up front; I just rented one for a week long trip and basically added a 1" booster-seat of foam just to make contact with the deck. The Currituck fit acceptably, but was pretty unremarkable in most respects. Predictable stability, decent speed, decent cargo capacity, well outfitted. For the trip I did though, higher cargo capacity and more efficient cruising speed won out for me, so I rigged some temporary foot bracing and seat padding on the Cat4.

Jim

Lots of experience with both
I keep about 20 Impex boats in the instructional fleet and find that the Currituck is my boat of choice for when I’m leading instruction. Good cruise speed and very manuverable especially when heeled over on edge.

The Force 4 is my kayak of choice when I’m leading trips or going out for a fitness paddle. Increased waterline, less rocker and narrower beam. Previous poster complained that the 4 had too low of a deck, should’ve jumped in the 5 as it has an inch higher deck which accomodates larger feet or more muscular legs with ease.

See you on the water,

Marshall

www.the-river-connection.com

Hyde Park, NY

deck height
It just goes to show how perceptions vary. I demoed a Force 3 & 4, and thought the 3 deck was too low and the 4 deck too high for my 5’9", 160 lbs. It’s only an inch on paper but felt like a lot more. I did like the Force 4 – I’d happily paddle one after doing some outfitting.

Could always boost the seat
No, not with a telephone book sort of thing although a block of minicell would work too.

Haven’t met a boat that couldn’t be modified yet.

See you on the water,

Marshall

www.the-river-connection.com

Hyde Park, NY

Agreed.
Normally I wouldn’t think of raising a seat due to the lessening of stability, but on the Force Cat4, it changed the whole personality to the good, at least for me…with a fully loaded hold. It had plenty of reserve stability to raise my center of gravity a bit without worry, and made laybacks smooth and easy.

boats
I’ve paddled the Impex force 4 but not the carrituck—I’m 6’0" 180 lbs and didn’t feel too small for the force 4—a friend of mine was trying it out prepatory to buying it and let me paddle for about 15 minutes—I as in relatively calm water but was impressed with its edging, acceleration and speed—normally I paddle a W/S Tempest 170—maybe that’s why the Impex seemed to fit me—the tempest 170 is a relativly large volume boat