Impex Force Series...

Their website says “January 2005.” Okay, January 2005 has come and gone. Please tell me one of our nice industry partners has some new information on these boats. I’m dying for the skinny.

A Tease…
don’t cha just hate that! :wink: But it does get the folks all worked up. Guess that’s successful marketing.

sing

(Waiting anxiously for the “Katana”.) :smiley:

Here is a little information and pic?

– Last Updated: Feb-03-05 8:00 PM EST –

Here is some information and likely not a picture?

If you click on the page they have some detailed info though.

http://www.frontenac-outfitters.com/makepage.cfm?ID=14

Impex Force Category 3 provides small to medium sized paddlers a 17' expedition kayak with a custom fit for maximum performance control at the highest levels. With significantly less rocker and a narrower 20" width, the Force Cat. 3 is designed to maintain high speeds on long trips, take on the fastest currents and surf the largest waves. Impex Category Force 3 offers an exciting new choice for advanced paddlers! Available: mid February/05

Impex Force Category 4, simply a "larger version" of the Force Cat. 3 Impex's new Force Cat. 4 is designed with very little rocker to accentuate speed and performance. Medium to large paddlers will love its long 18' length, very narrow 20.75" beam and more aggressive thigh braces allowing paddlers to find their comfort level and then surpass it. The Impex Force Category 4 provides intermediate & advanced paddlers a kayak in which to respect nature… but not always bow to its fury! Available: April/05

Also the latest on Outer Island's modified cockpit!

The Impex Outer Island 18 is available for the first time in a composite lay-up. Designed originally by paddler/designer Jay Babina with performance, rolling ability, low windage and speed the main criteria. At 18' long, only 21" wide and very little rocker it has loads of speed for those wanting to "go"! Its low rear deck is great for layback rolling but limits storage capacity. Very soft chines provide intermediate & advanced paddlers the opportunity to perfect even the most challenging bracing & sculling skills. Impex has refined Jay's original design by increasing the cockpit flange and adding more aggressive thigh braces to expand paddler fit range. Sheer elegance, fast touring or as a rolling machine… mid sized paddlers with aspirations to excel will Love It!

Impex also is offering a no get lay up.

"ALL" Impex Kayaks in Kevlar are now available in a "No Gel" ClearColour finish. This new option offers the toughness and durability of their traditional lay-up at dramatically reduced weights of 4 - 6 lbs, depending on the kayaks length for only a $150.00 up-charge. Note: Impex's "No Gel" Kevlar lay-up is stronger, lighter and provides "More Bang for Your Buck" than Carbon/Kevlar.

Yikes
Okay, BUMP. Still no info on their site.

This seems to be a problem nowadays. Despite what some people may wish to think, the internet is a HUGE source of exposure. I can’t understand why a co. would ignore it. Impex is just one of many companies producing “vaporware” or not maintaining their site. For another example, the people who purchased GRO still have yet to update anything but the “contact info” page of the site. I mean, every page of the site would lead you to believe GRO is still in MI except one…

Man, it’s sad. I would consider this basic and very important advertising. I mean, it takes all of 5 minutes to update a site to say “Under Construction,” or change the date from Jan to March. Personally, I’m going to lump this in with companies who can’t take the time to produce decent pictures, as Greyak pointed out. I think if a company wants to flourish, they can’t ignore this type of thing. It just looks unprofessional.

Jeeze…
Go email Danny and get the “skinny” right from the “man…”

Or, just take Impex off your list since the lack of professionalism must be a reflection of some lack in the boats as well. Of course, if it works this way, NDK would be off the market already… :wink:

“Internet” is just another word for “RIGHT NOW!”

sing

it’s funny how life has changes so
much so that now 25 seconds is too long to wait for something.

I make my living through IT, so I am the worst culprit, I always upgrade my computers every few years too. Just bought an ibook too. But even I think it’s a little nuts that we can’t wait to see what they’re gonna put up on their site. I think for the most part Impex is more paddlers than marketing wizards. I don’t think there’s any scam running on getting our excitement up. When they have the info for the web, it will be up on the server.

In the mean time take a visit here for fun:

http://www.cableamerica.com/Michigan/Lake.shtml

OK impatience, but vaporware?
I can be impatient with the best. And the purpose of promotion is to build our interest. However, IMPEX is one of those rare companies that is dependable and worthy of trust. Real paddlers making real product and real responsive. In this case, real intention to have it out, things do happen. It won’t be vaporware just slightly delayed.

OK it is not fun being winter bound and waiting for products to come out to try, new boats are so so seductive. Watch out I think the sireen is calling.

vs. Montauk and Currituck
While stats are fine, I am really curious for the Currituck and Montauk paddler, how differently these boats will feel. Not rolling ability, but primary/secondary stability, turning, cockpit comfort, etc.

Guess the only way to find out is wait for their release and try em out!

Here is only info I have seen
New for 2005, simply a “larger version” of the Force Cat. 3 Impex’s new Category Force 4 is designed with very little rocker to accentuate speed and performance. Medium to large paddlers will love its long 18’ length, very narrow 20.75" beam and more aggressive thigh braces allowing paddlers to find their comfort level and then surpass it.

The Impex Force Category 4 provides intermediate & advanced paddlers a kayak in which to respect nature… but not always bow to its fury!

STANDARD FEATURES:

Hatches: Bow & Stern- Large oval rubber, Day Hatch 8" rubber Outfitting:Immersion Reaserch back Band, Seat Pad, Yakima Foot Braces, increased deck rigging including reflective deck lines, a recess for a Nexius 70P compass and a new innovative “2-clutch Rescue System”

Estimated Release Date: April, 2005

Length:

18’0"

Width:

Sternhatch:

TBA

Dayhatch:

TBA

Bowhatch:

TBA

Depth:

Rudder & Skeg:

Skeg

Paddler Weight

170 - 210 lbs

Cockpit Dimensions

30" L x 16" W

Impex’s Force Category 3 provides small to medium sized paddlers a 17’ expedition kayak that fits their body for maximum control, while providing performance at the highest levels. With signifcantly less rocker and a narrower 20" width, the Force Cat. 3 is designed to maintain high speeds on long trips, take on the fastest currents and surf the largest waves.

Impex Category Force 3 provides a wonderful new choice for advanced paddlers!

STANDARD FEATURES:

Hatches: Bow & Stern- large oval rubber, Day Hatch 8" round rubber Outfitting: Immersion Reaserch Adjustable backband, seat Pad, Yakima Foot braces, increased deck rigging and reflective deck lines, a recess for Nexius 70P compass (not included) and an innovative new “2- Clutch rescue System”.

Release Date: End February 2005

Frontenac Outfitters On-Water Paddlesports Centre Stocks 100’s of Kayaks & Offers Free Test Paddling of Boats & Gear ~ Everyday!

Length:

17’0"

Width:

Sternhatch:

TBA

Dayhatch:

TBA

Bowhatch:

TBA

Depth:

Rudder & Skeg:

Skeg

Paddler Weight

115 - 175 lbs

Cockpit Dimensions

30" L x 16" W

Curituck vs Cat 4
I had a Currituck and just sold it. I sold it to get a faster boat with les rocker. The Cat 4 is impressive. Primary stability is solid. I would say lots more than the Currituck. It trasks a lot better, almost on rails. Secondary is good and the boat can be edged/leaned for turning rather easily. It is faster than the Currituck by at least 5-10% (GPS measured). Maybe more but I haven’t felt it. My test paddled was in benign water conditions so can’t say about surf, following seas, weathercocking, broaching, etc. Hopefully, that is my next step.