Impex K-Lite

Does anyone know definitely what resin is used in the carbon kevlar K-Lite Impex kayaks? Is it vinylester, polyester or epoxy?

Call and ask
My guess is Vinylester, but I’m sure they would tell you.

the reply I got from
Scott Canoes (maker of Impex kayaks) is that the hull is made with epoxy resin, but the clear coat is apparently vinylester (?)

Geoff, is there a problem with the K-lite?

Heat deformation would not be effecting it in Tasmania? at least not this time of the year :slight_smile:

Impex resin
Hi Gnarly,

Not hugely impressed with the Impex K Lite, it has always leaked, I have recently found that it is seeping water through the hull, somewhat unusual as it has a few scratches but no major damage.It used to leak through the hatch rims, through some voids in the gel coat and through the nose of the hull. I fixed all of those. It is also not a stiff layup at all, we are looking for another boat for Lyn and the options are still very limited, although there may be another one in the not too distant future from a very good builder…time will tell.

Geoff

hmmm… maybe the foam core
Geoff, to have the K-lite leak through the hull there must be a perforation of the first skin (carbon/Kevlar weave).

The skin is thin and just coated with clear vinylester.

Any scratches that are not just superficial could be “patched” with epoxy.

I did the whole hull of my K-lite (sold) with a flash coat of West System 105/207 (UV stabilized hardener) to protect the very easily abraded factory clear finish.

Since the K-lite has a core of foam (Nomex I believe) it would not take that much to possibly leak inside the kayak.

I have also patched a few hulls internally where the feet rest against the foot pegs and the rubbing of the sand against shoes wore a hole down to the foam.

I agree with you: I don’t think K-lite is stiffer than expedition glass or carbon/Kevlar.

Not exactly a SKUK boat, is it?

Let me know how you go repairing the K-lite.

Impex K-Lite
The other reason I was asking about resin type was that the Force 3 definitely feels heavier than it used to be and if it is epoxy resin as suggested it really shouldn’t have absorbed any water.

I have already patched the hull inside where it leaked and also where my wife’s shoes were wearing through the hull.

Geoff

surprised
I’m surprised to hear of the problems with your k-lite.

My buddy has a 2 year old force 4 with it and has been impressed. We’ve been out surfing, rescue practice, lots of rolling, and no leakage or deformation. And it’s crazy light!

Perhaps they are still dialing in the epoxy baking process, and have some consistency issues.

patching K-lite
Geoff, my K-lite kayaks (2) abraded in only a few outings on Qld sandy beaches!

After a few seal launches, errr, sorry, “crock launches” :slight_smile: the clear coat wore away and the Kevlar started to fuzz up.

I recoated the whole hull with West System.

After that the abrasion resistance was stronger then gel coat, really!

If your K-lite has the factory clear coat abraded in several spots, might be possible that the skin fabric is letting water through to the foam core? and since the foam maybe absorbs some water it could become heavier?

Images of deformed K-lite hull in heat viewable at: http://gnarlydognews.blogspot.com/2010/02/cartopping-sea-kayaks.html

Whether with hand layup or infusion,
if one tries to use the least resin to wet out the cloth, there is a risk of tiny leaks.

upside down banana
I just parked next to a K-lite Montauk in the parking lot of my local paddling store. (It looked WAY flashier than the 15 year old Pintail on my roof.)

It was deck-up on hullavator cradles, and the boat was substantially indented at all the contact points. I saw the owner come out and try loosening the bow and stern lines, but that didn’t do anything. The hull just seemed to be very soft under the cockpit. Not a hot day here either. Low 70s, maybe. I think I’d carry that boat deck-down.

so, I am not the only one
that has (had) problems with the K-lite hull deforming. While the dents would eventually pop out, occasionally there was a little crease line left where the dent was. I started to transport that kayak hull up. On one occasion it dented by just resting on a small stick while I was on the beach having a break.