Importance of bulk heads

Large cockpit boats have their own limitations as mentioned, all good points. One way to remove water from an overturned boat is to push down on the stern, raising the bow enough that it breaks the “seal” on the cockpit combing allow water to drain back to the rear bulkhead and flow out, not all the way but reducing the volume adequately. As the boat raises and the water flows out, a quick rotation/flip along the axis of the boat can cause it to rotate over and land upright - leaving a smaller amount of water in the cockpit. You can then try your various self-rescues out or get an assist. This method takes some practice, a T-rescuer can also simply raise the bow enough to accomplish the same water drain enough to flip the boat upright.

@CraigF said:
Getting a good spray skirt and learning to roll would probably be better than putting up with the space needed to make a front bulkhead work. The boat isn’t long enough for a bulkhead to do better than the higher flotation foam. I once tried one of the float bags and it was worthless for flotation.

One of the other problems is that all bulkheads leak, even factory installed models. After some time in the sun the hatches also get wonky. Stay in flat water and you should not have a problem. The Kestrel is a very stable boat.

The Kestrel 120 roto is absolutely not a kayak to learn to roll in. It is difficult to find spray skirts that fit securely and stay on those big rec. cockpits, and it lacks any type of adequate thigh braces or hip pads for rolling.

The only time a float bag is worthless for flotation is when it won’t hold air, or won’t stay in the boat because it is inadequately secured in it. Anything that displaces water and is lighter than water, will provide buoyancy. You can’t get too much lighter than an air-filled bag, and unlike some open cell foams or styrofoams, they will not absorb any water.

I have used empty plastic jugs.

Love everyone’s comments , and appreciate the various thoughts on this.

So ya, it’s a Kestrel, a long running kayak in the CD family with amazing reviews, and at $400 off on sale, it’s why I bought it. Significant upgrade from the sundolphin tub I started with last summer.

With that said, with inland lakes and slow rivers, this really is a Rec boat. I had zero concerns about flipping last year, and after 30+ hours and a course under my belt, I feel I’ll be just fine.
The instructor of my course I took just got me thinking… but as some of you mentioned, she’ll stay afloat, and I do have a bilge pump and a paddle float… so getting back in, even if I have to pump some water out beforehand… I think I’ll be fine.

Next kayak will be another upgrade!

Kind of reminds me of my own journey. First a 10 footer, then 12, then 14, then 16, and then 17, plus lots of lessons and a few symposiums. The last three boats are keepers.

Have a great time paddling and learning, Photecs.

Actually neither of my fiberglass boats have front bulkheads. I use flotation bags from REI. Can’t put bulkheads in folding kayaks either so float bags are the order of the day. Not a bad idea to keep a float bag in the stern as well

What’s the best way to mount the float bags? Industrial Velcro?

Some people have bags of the right size and configuration to be able to tie off the the foot pegs. But industrial velcro using a good bonding agent is a nice idea.

I just drilled a hole in the deck and tied it off.

@Photecs said:
Love everyone’s comments , and appreciate the various thoughts on this.

So ya, it’s a Kestrel, a long running kayak in the CD family with amazing reviews, and at $400 off on sale, it’s why I bought it. Significant upgrade from the sundolphin tub I started with last summer.

With that said, with inland lakes and slow rivers, this really is a Rec boat. I had zero concerns about flipping last year, and after 30+ hours and a course under my belt, I feel I’ll be just fine.
The instructor of my course I took just got me thinking… but as some of you mentioned, she’ll stay afloat, and I do have a bilge pump and a paddle float… so getting back in, even if I have to pump some water out beforehand… I think I’ll be fine.

Next kayak will be another upgrade!

You have a good boat .