Incredible journey! Romany crosses Atlantic without paddler...

I found this story amusing. Not sure if it has been posted here before but here goes…

https://maineislandkayak.com/ndk-explorer-crosses-atlantic-without-a-paddler/

It has appeared and the paddler involved was a well-respected participant on this site. He passed away some years ago. Not long after that someone who was new came onto the site and showed up with what had been Colodney’s screen name. The new paddler was encouraged to pick a new moniker.

The folks at Maine Island Kayak still tell this story once in a while.

If I remember the boat was offered to be returned but was determined to be not worth the cost of shipping.
I remember the owner’s posts. Cool story.

@grayhawk said:
If I remember the boat was offered to be returned but was determined to be not worth the cost of shipping.
I remember the owner’s posts. Cool story.

I also remember the owner’s post. He said the sandwich was still intact in the day hatch!

I had the honor of paddling with Dan once. I was new at paddling and was in awe of his skills. The paddle looked like it was glued to the palms of his hands. He was also a road biker-turned-kayaker. Near the end of his life he offered to sell me his Colnago bike with an anniversary edition Campy group.

Rex - Great that you had the chance to paddle with him. Did you take the bike?
Pikabike - I had forgotten the bit about the sandwich… Thanks.

Hey Celia, I didn’t buy the bike. I didn’t really need one and I was fairly sure it wouldn’t fit me well.

Hi Rex. Yeah, fit is crucial. That was such a classic.