Indecisive Australian newbie needs help

$750 US would be a great deal here for an Edge – that’s 30% off list so they are not even breaking even on the boat (dealer margin on kayaks is that low).

Seayak Classic looks like similar specs – sort of midway between the Tsunami and Edge in profile but beam of the latter. Can’t report any experience with it. Manufacturer doesn’t rate it highly for “agility” (6 out of 10) so it may perform more like the Tsu. Have you looked at the user reviews here on the site?

$750 US would be a great deal here for an Edge – that’s 30% off list so they are not even breaking even on the boat (margin on kayaks is that low).

Seayak Classic looks like similar specs – sort of midway between the Tsunami and Edge in profile. Can’t report any experience with it. Manufacturer doesn’t rate it highly for handling (only 6 out of 10) so it may more resemble the barge-y Tsu in that respect.

Let us know what you end up with and how you like it! A new boat is always exciting…

Thanks Willowleaf. I think I’ll go with the edge, I like the look of it and it’s in my budget. There is a 2nd hand one for approx $400US but it’s heavily oil canned on the bottom so I think I’ll go new.

I’ll let you know if I bite the bullet.

My friend with the Edge has messed up her boat since we first started paddling together 5 years ago – left it mounted for weeks in the summer two years ago on her car roof rack (she doesn’t have a garage and has to park on the street) and had it cranked down with those horrible ratchet straps. Softened and squished it so badly that “oil can” is an understatement – it is so badly warped that it pulls to the right now and she has to compensate like crazy with her paddle stroke. I warned her too late about avoiding those straps and now her nice Edge is pretty sad.

I tried out a Tsunami 145 today. Ugh! It was well made but felt like I was paddling a wet log. Totally crossed off the list. I tried another kayak which was 15 feet long and 55cm wide, what a difference! It felt a little tippy but was totally fine after sitting in it for a couple of minutes.

Going to look at a Dagger Cortez 16.5 tonight. Boat looks to be in great shape and the guy only wants $250 US. Seems about the right shape and will (just) fit in my storage area.

That 15’ x 55cm boat you tried matches the basic proportions of both the Edge and my beloved Easky 15LV, so you understand why this is such a great size for a kayak. That “tippiness” is what makes it handle and glide so well. The secondary stability (how far you can lean it to the side without capsizing) may surprise you. Many boats that feel “wobbly” due to have a more vee shaped hull are actually more stable in waves and rough water than the flatter bottomed “barges”.

And you see what I mean about the Tsunamis being so sluggish. Besides which the 145 is for big guys (like those scary huge Samoan rugby players), I warned you off that one earlier.

Yeah, I thought I would try the Tsunami to see if I could live with it. Nope! The edge is looking better and better. I am going to have a look at a Prijon Catalina next week to see if I can get into it ok.

Hi Willowleaf, any experience with a Point65 Whiskey 16 3L Tourer?

Nope. Point 65 are not common on this side of the pond, though I did encounter a fellow at my local lake with one of their 3 piece modular kayaks a couple of summers ago. Kind of a cool techno idea but I did not ask to try it.

Cool, ta.