Inflatable/Folding Kayak for FL Rivers

I’m looking for a kayak to facilitate hunting Florida’s rivers for fossils. Unfortunately, I have limited storage and transportation ability, leading me to look for an inflatable or folding kayak. I’ve looked at things like the Advanced Elements AdvancedFrame series, and even some of the Folbots, but those are really a bit more expensive than I can handle, unless I can find a deal on a used one. My kayaking experience is very limited.

I would be kayaking pretty much exclusively on Florida rivers, which are pretty much entirely flat water, on day trips. They can have oyster bars and other hazards, though, leading me to be somewhat skeptical of using an inflatable or foldable (what do you think?). I need something with a little bit of storage space, because I would need to carry a small shovel and some small supplies. Note that the kayak would essentially just be a means to an end; I just need something to get me from spot to spot along the rivers. What would you suggest for this? Can someone offer opinions about the different inflatables and such, and whether they are even appropriate for my needs?

Take a look at Folbots
http://www.folbot.com I had one that took some sharp coral with a few scratches no breaches. One of if not the best kayak companies to deal with when it comes to customer service. Check out http:// www.foldingkayaks.org also. There are more high perfornmance folders out there but the Folbot Aleut or Citibot seem to be just what you are looking for.

Budget

– Last Updated: Jun-06-08 12:36 AM EST –

Indeed those look like they would work, but, unfortunately, they are a bit more expensive than I can afford right now unless I can find a good deal on a used one. Other than looking for a used Folbot, is there anything slightly cheaper (sub-$1000USD, preferably) that would be suitable for my purposes?

Buy a 9 ft plastic recreational kayak
Kepp it in your place, carry it on your car roof with pool noodles. Look for Sparky, Keowee by Perception, Lobo or Kopapa by Kiwi Kayaks. Lots of others, these pop into mind.

Not practical

– Last Updated: Jun-06-08 1:13 AM EST –

As much as I'd like to do that, it simply is not an option. I live in a small apartment with roommates, and there is no where to store a standard hard shell kayak. This is what has kept me from getting a kayak so far.

Pakboat Puffin Kayak
I bought a new one last month and LOVE this kayak. It has exceeded my expectations and it’s priced around $875. for the 12’ making it very affordable. Observations on 3 river and 3 lake outings: faster than I thought it would be (almost as fast as my hard boat), very easy to get up to speed due to it’s light weight (less than 30lbs), good initial stability and excellent secondary stability, good glide (but not as good as my hard boat)high quality materials used, fit and finish is excellent and the best part is that everything fit perfectly making assembly under 30 minutes my first time (read the manual for once…). I have taken it down some rough water (class II) in a few places and scraped some rocks…not even a scratch. This kayak has the most comfortable seat (air) I have set in…even after 3-4 hours it’s still comfortable. I’m 6-2/210 and the fit is very good with lots of storage in front of my feet and in back of the seat. This is a keeper. Pics available via email if anyone wants to see it.

dont do it
the same areas that are rich in fossles are also rich in razor sharp shells!!!

Inflatables
I paddle inflatables and frequently advocate them on this board. I would not use them on a regular basis around oyster beds. You should seriously look at the previously mentioned Bic Yacca - might be you best option given the constraints.

Creativity is key
I am talking a 9 ft kayak. You can keep it your bedroom or even chained up outside. I live in a 1BR 2nd floor apartment.

Look up
You see that empty ceiling up there? Just consider it wasted space, and by filling it up with something you will be making more efficient use of your space. Hoisted upside down on the ceiling, or hanging sideways high on the wall, a kayak can also be an attractive decoration.

Anyway, do you have a preference for sit-inside or sit-on-top? Many people prefer sit-on-tops for warm-water/fishing.

There are good deals to be had used, on the Classified on this board, Ebay, Craigslist, & local Classifieds.

For new, check out:

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?page=fishing-kayaks&categoryId=9001&cat4=1103&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&nav=sub

Surfing SOT
You might think about a 9’ surfing SOT like the Ocean Kayak yak board.

If you want to go really cheap, a $50 Sevylor raft makes a good dive platform, and will get you down river eventually. I had a lot of fun in those little cheapo rafts.

Roof
I live in a small apartment myself. The kayak goes on the roof of my car Easter Sunday and goes into storage in my parents garage on Thanksgiving. Otherwise its up there all the time. If you are in Florida, you could keep it up there year round.

Kills my gas mileage, but otherwise it works fine.

inflatable floors
I was just out this weekend in my Innova Sunny and my friends AE Advanced Frame. We landed on a number of oyster beaches and barnacle covered rock beaches. I got a few scratches in the nitrylon fabric of the sunny but the AE came through without a scratch.

Keep a repair kit handy. But in order to puncture the AE floor you’ve got to get through three layers of material. I feel a little more secure landing on rough beaches with an AE or a Sterns than I do the Innova. Whenever I come in for a landing I pretend I’m in a hand built cedar kayak that I don’t want to scratch!

On car all year in Florida
Not sure I’d keep a boat on top of my car all year in Florida. The sun can get pretty intense through the summer.

Paul

http://paddleflorida.blogspot.com/

Here is one
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Advanced-Elements-AdvancedFrame-Inflatable-Kayak_W0QQitemZ140240613108QQihZ004QQcategoryZ87090QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

You know what will happen if you get into oyster beds. If you do it, bring shoes with you.

FOLOT TAMPA BAY
Emtilt this is listed on Craigslist in Tampa

email this posting to a friend tampa bay area craigslist > sporting goods

please flag with care:

miscategorized

prohibited

spam/overpost

best of craigslist

Avoid scams and fraud by dealing locally! Beware any deal involving Western Union, Moneygram, wire transfer, cashier check, money order, shipping, escrow, or any promise of transaction protection/certification/guarantee. More info

kayak 14’6" folbot - $100 (clw)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reply to: sale-702201449@craigslist.org

Date: 2008-05-31, 10:25AM EDT

14’6" kayak folbot ready to use , needs cleaning $100.00 obo

it’s NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 702201449

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Copyright © 2008 craigslist, inc. terms of use privacy policy feedback forum

Now that’s my idea of a
nicely furnished apartment!

Cheers,

JackL