For my first kayak I want an inflatable. I do like the Sea Eagle 393 since it seems to behave like a hardshell kayak and is reasonably priced. I’m also interested in the 373 (the convertible 1-2 person version). But it is not available before September. I’m open to solos, but also wouldn’t mind the option to convert to 2-seater. it seems a full drop-stitch boat is best. this one seems to be the narrowest (fastest?) available.
First option: Good boat (even if not available now)
I found The airvolution AE3030 and 3029, they are bit more pricy. A cheaper option is the Advanced AE1007-E (only bottom is drop-stitch)
Good boat that is available now:
I’m also entertaining the idea to buy a lesser inflatable that is available NOW so I can get started.
Some that may be OK are the Sea Eagle 370 Pro, the Advanced AE1012 (10’only), or the Advanced AE1007. Chinook 120 also seems to be an option. These may be boats I have for the beginning and sell later or keep as a spare.
what I prefer:
- good seats (I’m 5’11", 175#)
- good foot rest
- good tracking
- relatively good speed or behavior close to a hard shell
Besides over-priced pool toys, there is not much used available around here.
- other recommended options for my two options (available later vs now)?
- which ones would meet my needs best (seat, foot rest etc.). I can compromise when it is a cheaper interim boat, but don’t want to hate it.
- Is a drop-stitch bottom useful if the sides are regular (like the Advanced AE 1007-E)?
- would a 10’ with skeg (like the Advanced AE1012) ride well (straight) at all?
Water will be calm (Madison WI lakes and not on stormy days)