Inflatable PFD to get zealot off my back

really reaching now
so now it’s racial and/or ethnic profiling.

you didn’t get what you wanted,you wanted to be “right” and “score” over this ranger,so now it’s because you have a suntan and black hair. I call that a sheeple response - people who fabricate PC reasons to blame other people. Pulling the race/ethnicity card is always a popular one…

FWIW I am of Southern Italian/Native American descent. On any given day, suntan or no, I have darker skin & eyes than most. TGod my hair is still mostly black LOL

I don’t see any diff in the way I am treated by LEOs. Guess I lead a charmed life, but in any case, I’m not whining my way thru it crying “profiling” when I don’t get my way.

Maybe he profiled you cuz you, despite your assertions of being “polite”, were acting irrational and continuing debating him (or one could say “baiting him”) over a very trivial matter. Don’t like my assumption? well, you are doing the same thing as regards this ranger, and it is worse cuz you use the race/ethnicity card.

You are better than that pikabike.

Only going to get worse
Hey, I saw a new sign on a bathroom door. It said, “Push.” The door obviously was the type you push: NO handle to pull on, and a metal rectangle of the type that is always there for push-type doors.

You don’t even need to speak English to understand that it’s a push door.

“Average IQ” will have to be redefined, at this rate.

Maybe someone tried to pull the door, fell over backwards and hit his head, then tried to sue the manager…

Maybe, maybe not
Could be just that he was bored that day. Or maybe he was jumpy because someone recently drowned because they couldn’t swim.

Makes me wonder when, as I posted in the main topic, rangers only occasionally patrol there and almost never stop to do anything, even when there are dogs obviously running loose and people swimming outside of the allotted hours for the special-permit group.

SUP
A SUP is short for stand up paddle board. I’m assuming you have never heard of one, or had already forgotten the content of my post before you posted. You don’t capsize on a SUP, as your post suggest, you fall right off. The SUP has a about a 12’’ fin and we have had several people hit oyster beds that are just beneath the surface while standing up. The kayak stopped dead in it’s track and both times the paddler had great ballance and managed not to fall off into the oyster bed and landed on their knees. Shoes are the main requirement but, yes, someone could easily fall face first into an oyster bed, or do a Charlie Brown, and sustain lacerations from head to toe. We think the regular PFD would also offer some protection to their core. This is a secondary concern, as PFDs also offer protection from rocks in WW, and the cold, and makes sense to me. I personally like a regular PFD.

Hope this clears up your confusion.

good question though
I read your post again and wanted to add that less than a month ago I was leading a trip and this guy lost his balance while getting out of the kayak, stepped on the edge of the boat landing, fell backwards into a pile of rocks covered in shells, put his hand down, cut his hand and fell backwawrds all the way over upside down over the rocks, so that his PFD was the only thing protecting him. His hand was a bloody mess but his PFD probably saved his core and his legs were above his head.

I’ve also heard of other people capsizing over oyster beds and got cut up all over with blood shooting out.

While it’s easy ot avoid oysters cause the most injuries in marine enviroment.

oh, shallow oyster rock threw me

– Last Updated: Aug-04-10 9:51 PM EST –

I thought you were talking about SUP and river touring separately. SUP in a shallow river didn't register. When you started talking shallow water with oyster rock, kayak popped into my head. Only time I see SUPs around here is surfing or racing on open water. I forget that people are touring on them too. Might be a fun way to see the marsh, better visibility than sitting down low.

yep
Thanks for the follow up.

The SUPs hit a regular oyster bed in the tidal creeks, and the kayaker fell over some rocks beside the landing.

I hadn’t actually thought about the PFD protecting the kayaker from the rocks and shells on the rocks until now. He did a complete backroll over the stack of rocks and into the creek and went all the way under water head first backwards. When he came up I didn’t know what to expect. He said he was ok, but a steady stream of blood was flowing off his hand and one of the cuts probably needed stitches. I cleaned it really well, got the bleeding to stop, bandaged it, and they said they were going to have it looked at.

I’ve busted my ass more than once getting out of a motor boat onto a bank and fallen on roots and such.

But yeah, SUPs in the creeks and marsh is great!

Breaking News, not good.

– Last Updated: Aug-04-10 11:29 PM EST –

Less than two hours ago a man drowned at the same county park where I work and have been talking about.

I wouldn't think someone could drown in a place like this but someone did. He was at the park with his family. There was a sign on the dock that says no swimming, as a life guard would have to be present for swimming.

http://www.wciv.com/news/stories/0810/761270.html?ref=rs&cmpid=rss_news_761270

that news station doesn't know what day it is.. they found the body at 9:30 tonight, Aug 4th, and went missing at about 8 pm

http://www.live5news.com/Global/story.asp?S=12928328

Has this been beat to death yet?
Overall it was a hot stinking day for both pikabike and the ranger - it’d be surprising if there weren’t a few awkward transactions in that situation.

The posts are getting a bit personal.

the reactions are perfectly reasonable
Given the OP’s unwarranted speculation about the ranger’s motivations. The OP has shown no ability to analyze this situation from the opposing side or anyone else’s but herself. It seems to me it was already personal.

And why do they
put braile text on the drive up ATM?

It coincides with the rise of the
welfare state, the ascendency of leftist politics, the Great Society programs and all the entitlement/victimhood thinking that has dominated this country and its citizens since then. I will add something that goes on in either polarity of political types, the age of celebrity politicians has made things worse. “Save the children!”

Dogmaticus

Sorry to hear
Rest edited out including a sub-thread. This was a tragedy, and comments about it should not be marred by nastiness.

Relevance?
The gentleman went in to retrieve his fishing net, with obviously tragic consequences. His aptitude as a swimmer was not discussed in the article.

Unfortunately, short of implying that he had to wear a pfd while fishing or going to retrieve his crap from the water, I fail to see connection to this thread.

OP made it personal
first w. the ranger, with whom I now truly sympathize, then by calling people on this board “sheeple” and denigrating their reasoning by calling it Least Common Denominator thinking.

Watching someone make a fool of themselves with repeated defensiveness, overblown statements and paranoia is only funny for a while- so I’m over and out here.

yakwise, slushpaddler, jimyaker and others, thanks for the jolts of common sense you injected, and to Celia for being the peacemaker with your own good and balanced perspective. Would that the OP would take a bit from your page.

Yakwise, very sorry to hear about the loss of life in your county park. When things like that happens it reminds (or should remind) all of us about getting too heated about much small issues.

Probably for a practical reason
Namely, the ATM probably has the same panel (saves $) for both drive-up and indoors machines. But it does make you pause when you see it on a drive-up ATM, all right.

Also, someone who’s blind could walk or be driven to a drive-up ATM–assuming that people other than drivers are allowed to enter such an ATM lane. I’ve seen at least one where walkers and cyclists were not allowed to use the drive-up lane. Fear of accidents and…you guessed it…lawsuits.

Okay you two.

– Last Updated: Aug-05-10 4:26 PM EST –

It's rude to speak ill of someone within earshot.

Pik: The Man is heavy. The Man is hard. Tread carefully.

CO2 cartridge @Army/Navy store

– Last Updated: Aug-05-10 9:54 PM EST –

I'd check out an Army/Navy store or Diving shop(y/n?)...think you want those CO2 cartridge vests...y/n?

$.01

water the past three weeks
in Virginia has been between 85 and 90 most days–rolling doesn’t help too much but the good news is that the inflatable pfd is much cooler and more comfortable—I’m from Maine and used to think the same thing you guys did—never too hot for conventional pfds and I would laugh at people who used the heat as an excuse not to wear one.

Then I moved to a climate with 100 degree tempetures and 99% humidity for weeks in the summer–guess what? they were right but that doesn’t meean you should go without a pfd–I bought the inflatable for the hot months and still have the standard pfd (lotus) to wear when the temp dips below 90 and when I head out on the salt water (where its usually cooler) in fresh water and close to shore in salt in hot weather its the inflatable. And after of couple of incidents involving overheating, its the best thing for me

bass pro shops
and gander mountain sports both carry iflatable pfds for around 80 bucks–be sure you get the one that is inflated by pulling a cord and not the kind that gets automatically inflated when it get wet–not really good for a kayaker