Inflatable SUP seam glue failing

I have a SurfStow 57000 VoyageAir 1100, Inflatable SUP and the seam glue seems to be failing. I am now on my third seam repair as after each repair, I inflate and use and after use I leave it inflated and the next day it’s flat. My repairs hold but inevitable another 4-6" of seam has let go - you can stick your fingers in and through the seam and not feel any of the original glue - like it was never there. Is there anything I can do to stop chasing leaks? IS there a re-seaming service I can send it to? Ideas?? Thx

You say “after use I leave it inflated”. This is your problem. High pressure inflatables should never be stored inflated.

As someone who has used rafts and folding kayaks with inflatable sponson chambers for more than 30 years I am pretty sure that’s what is causing the problem with yours. If you don’t at least partially deflate an inflatable when it is out of the water, in warm to hot weather the air inside will expand and often rupture the seams. I have had this happen twice when I forgot to release at least some pressure in the valves. In both cases the seam split and the inflatable went flat. Since I figured this out and always deflate on land I have never had a seam rupture. Even if I just stop on shore for a lunch break and take the boat out of the water, I always open a valve and let some air out, then pump it back up before relaunching. This is super important in very hot and sunny weather.

A watercraft can be inflated to high pressure ONLY WHILE IT IS IN THE WATER because the water is almost always cooler than the air and immersion will keep the temperature of the air inside either stable or it will cool and lose volume. This is why you may sometimes find you need to go ashore and pump up your boat (or SUP) a little more if you launch into chilly water.

Patch the current split and then ALWAYS let the air out of your SUP. Do not ever store it inflated to working pressure.

If you want to keep it half inflated so it is quicker to blow up when you use it, at least open the valves and let out enough air that it is soft and floppy. And try not to store it in places it can get over 100 degrees (like a car trunk or garage in the summer). Excessive heat can degrade the vinyl and the adhesive over time. At the low price point of this model you have, it is not made of super-durable components so you have to be more careful with it.

Honestly, I am surprised that the SUP did not come with instructions informing you about this. Though since I see how cheap the model is and that it is sold at Walmarts, perhaps it did not come with a manual. Here’s a couple of articles with more on this potential problem – bear in mind the first link is from a British site and it is much cooler there than in many parts of the USA. If they have to be careful about heat expansion there, you know it’s even more likely here.

Second one is a manufacturer recommendation (that should have come with your board.) You should be using a pressure gauge when inflating – note their recommendations on maximum inflation level.

2 Likes

Return it to where you bought it. Amazon ? Walmart?

Look for a used regular SUP on craigslist. Most inflatable SUPs are junk.

2 Likes

^^ What SeaDart says, I agree with. If you are serious about SUP, buy a quality one rather than a pool toy.

If you’re experiencing issues with the seam glue on your inflatable stand-up paddleboard (SUP) failing, it’s essential to address the problem promptly to ensure your board remains safe and functional. Here are some steps you can take to address this issue:

Assess the Damage: First, inspect the board thoroughly to identify the extent of the seam glue failure. Look for any visible cracks, gaps, or areas where the seam tape or glue has come loose.

Clean the Surface: To properly repair the seam, you need a clean and dry surface. Use a mild detergent and warm water to clean the affected area. Make sure to rinse and dry the board thoroughly before proceeding.

Prepare the Repair Materials: Depending on the severity of the seam glue failure, you may need various repair materials. These can include PVC patch material, PVC adhesive (specifically designed for inflatable SUPs), and a repair kit. Ensure that you have the right materials on hand before starting the repair.

Apply the Adhesive: If the seam glue is failing along a seam, carefully apply the PVC adhesive along the damaged area. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for application, as these may vary depending on the product you’re using. Be sure to apply the adhesive evenly and allow it to cure for the recommended time.

Patch Larger Damage: If you have significant damage or a tear in the board’s material, you may need to use a PVC patch. Cut the patch to the appropriate size, apply adhesive to both the patch and the damaged area, and then press the patch firmly onto the board. Follow the adhesive’s curing time as specified in the instructions.

Pressure and Bonding: After applying the adhesive or patch, use a roller or similar tool to apply even pressure to ensure a secure bond. This step is crucial for a lasting repair.

Test the Repair: Allow sufficient time for the adhesive to cure completely, typically 24 hours or more. After the curing period, inflate your SUP and conduct a leak test by spraying soapy water over the repaired area. Look for any bubbles that may indicate air escaping. If you notice any leaks, you may need to reapply adhesive or patch as necessary.

Regular Maintenance: To prevent future seam glue failures, it’s essential to maintain your inflatable SUP properly. Store it in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight, avoid overinflating, and handle it with care to prevent unnecessary stress on the seams.

If you’re unsure about how to repair your inflatable SUP, consider reaching out to the manufacturer or a professional repair service for guidance and assistance. Properly addressing seam glue failures is crucial for the safety and longevity of your paddle board for sale.

Glue and PVC coated fabrics are never going to last long term, as the fabric was developed in the 70s to be used with a welded process for seams, not glue. That said, blown seams can be repaired, but you’ll only want to use Zodiac branded Z7096 polyurethane contact cement for the repair. The other PVC adhesives on the market are varying degrees of fails.

How old is it? The Amazon description says it is made of EVA (ethylene vinyl acetate), not PVC, so what type of adhesive are you using to repair it?

You will need a good MEK based adhesive, like Clifton, the Zodiac adhesive mentioned above or H-66. Even with that you will probably find that the seam will fail directly adjacent to previous repairs as the factory glue deteriorates. Best way to fix them is to put a patch on the inside and a larger one over the outside, but that can be tough to do on a drop stitch floor or paddle board.

AI Chatbox?

1 Like