Inflatable vs Non

My wife and I are thinking about getting a set of kayaks for our family. We have been kayaking before on some of our friends’ kayaks and have enjoyed it.

We were initially going to do two two-seaters and one one-seater as we have two kids and my mother. But when my wife started looking at the price difference between the two-seaters and one-seaters, she started saying that it might be more cost effective to get inflatables, at least for our first kayak purchase and it would definitely remove the need to purchase a trailer/rack to haul the hard-shell kayaks.

Personally, I feel that given the the price difference, it might be better to go with 5 one-seaters and let the kids (10 and 12) have their own smaller ones. The idea of using inflatables in Florida where we have a choice between surf kayaking and kayaking in springs/swamps is a concern for me. I am worried that they might not hold up to being assault by waves while launching or accidentally hitting underwater snags.

So in the end, she asked me to seek out the advice from others and here I am, doing just that. In the experience of wise paddlers, how good can inflatable kayaks really be? Do they hold up for long or will we likely be replacing them in a year due to wear and tear?

Thank you.

A few years ago we were camping at

– Last Updated: Aug-17-15 8:28 AM EST –

John Pennekamp State Park on Key Largo.
Right next to us was a doctor that had just retired.
He had an inflatable and we had our two sea kayaks and our tandem canoe.

It just happened to be a windy time, and every day was windy.

Each day we would head out either in our kayaks or our canoe.

Each day when we got back, he would come over and tell us how he had to sit out the day at the campsite, since the wind would blow him around so much.

I finally invited him to come out in our tandem canoe with me, which he did.

When we returned, he said as soon as he got home he was getting a hard shell kayak or canoe.

Need I say more ???

I'll say more: We winter in Florida and paddle all over the state. I would never want to paddle an inflatable in a mangrove tunnel or a Lake like Lake Rousseau that has a zillion sharp cypress stumps just below the surface.
On the other hand, if you are just lilly dipping around in a small pond, an inflatable might be the way to go.

Jack L

New or used prices?
End of season sales are not so far away now, at least in the northeast. I suspect that going used would get you into hard shells at a tolerable price point.

Depends on the Inflatable
My Innova boats are 20 years old and are great for portability. Winds can be an issue with hardshells as well. They are slower than hardshells.

inflatables
As with any product, there is a huge range of quality and price with inflatable boats. Some are cheap, sluggish and flimsy (like a $99 Sevylor) and others are costly, nimble and rugged (like a $5000 Feathercraft Gemini.)

You might want to look at the modular plastic kayaks from Point 65. These split into end sections and mid sections so you can assemble them as solo, tandem or even triple boats and the sections can fit inside a van or trailer. This will be a little more costly than non-modular plastic sit on tops., but would be portable and versatile.

There are also folding/inflatable hybrids like the Pakboat Puffin kayaks, also quite versatile in that they pack down into a duffel bag and some models can be set up as either a single or double and can be paddled open like a sit on top or with the optional deck velcroed on. Their PVC hulls are very tough.

Dollar for Dollar
Hard boats are better boats be far until you get to boats about $2000 and over. Then some of the inflatables can be very good, but they stiff suffer from sharp pointing things and being blown away in the wind.

Ultra light carbon race surfskis get blown away too, if you fall out of them.

Even with inflatables you may want a rack to let them dry on the way home on top of the car.

Dollar for Dollar
Hard boats are better boats be far until you get to boats about $2000 and over. Then some of the inflatables can be very good, but they stiff suffer from sharp pointing things and being blown away in the wind.

Ultra light carbon race surfskis get blown away too, if you fall out of them.

Even with inflatables you may want a rack to let them dry on the way home on top of the car.

Just picture…
A blowup doll vs a real person.

hey now
he has a wife!

:wink:

for what you’re looking to do
I would think hard shells. Some inflatables are made to withstand abuse like class iv whitewater and some are not. Most will be slower to paddle and require more energy to paddle much distance in wind or on the flats.

Now all that being said I took a small inflatable to the beach and had a good time. I timed the trip so the receding tide was pulling me out to the inlet mouth and I actually had an easier time in the surf than my niece who had rented a sot. So if you plan well, meaning you paddle in protected areas with the tide, with short distances then you can make inflatables work. It was nice not having to car top or trailer a boat since we already were crammed with supplies for a week at the beach.

All in all if you can work out the transportation and storage issues then hard boats would be my first preference for where you want to paddle.

Kayaks for everyone ???
Realistically it would be best to start with two decent hardshell boats, let everyone learn how to paddle, self rescue, etc etc. Chances are about half of your family will love it and the other half will not be so excited. If you can find a used tandem sot it’s great for family paddles.

Inexpensive inflatables don’t compare to used hardshell boats for value and performance. I wouldn’t buy a used inexpensive inflatable.

I

– Last Updated: Aug-19-15 12:41 AM EST –

have been impressed with my Saturn Ocean Pro 14' inflatable with it unique feature: a raised (high pressure, drop stitch) floor that's off the water a few inches. The kayak rides on it's tubes and with the two removable (fore/aft) skegs, this kayak paddles like no other inflatable. I'ts a bit more work than my 13 or 15'SOT's for speed, but can be inflated and ready to go in 15 minutes..no rack needed. I use a inexpensive electric air pump and top off with the included hand pump. I'm headed down to Puerto Vallarta/Sayulita for 6-8 weeks in Nov. and it's going with me. At 37lbs, it's a easy haul on the airlines. I have taken my 12' Pakboat Puffin for 3 years and it's great fun, but not strong enough for coming in with big waves on the Pacific. The Saturn is built very well with quality materials, Halkey valves, and on par with Aire Tributary or their 15' Sawtooth.
http://www.boatstogo.com/inflatable-kayaks.asp

Good Point
Inflatables are quieter

Plus
They are happy to wait in the car while you’re stopping for a drink.

and
when you inflate them they don’t tell you, “stop. No don’t stop! There! no, the ‘other’ there! OK now I’ve lost it. Start again!”

OK i’ll quit now.

Some people get all huffy puffy
http://www.paddling.net/message/showThread.html?fid=meet&tid=1816817

Non it is then
Thank you for all the replies and input. I think it has pretty much been settled that inflatable is not the way to go. Wind would definitely be an issue for us as it can be rather windy on any given day and the wind can literally change direction during the day. I have seen the wind shift from Northwest to East when the Trades and Fronts change dominance.