Input for a beginner

I was introduced to kayaking a few weeks ago - and I’m hooked. I’m shopping for a kayak, although I probably won’t be hitting the water around where I live until September, when it’s not blazing hot. I plan to purchase a sit-on-top.

I’d like input - typical beginner mistakes, suggestions on reasonable prices for PFD’s, recommendations for PFD’s for women (it’s warm here, so ventilation is important), etc. There are lessons fairly nearby, and I hope to take advantage of those.

Thanks!

@fm88 said:
typical beginner mistakes
= buying everything before you have the experience to know what you want.

If at all possible, borrow equipment in the beginning. Even better: Switch as much as possible between borrowed gear so you know the differences in the gear that is available.

You need experience to form an opinion on your requirements for a kayak or a paddle or a PFD. If you run out and buy everything now, you will probable replace a lot of it within the next two years because you discover that your requirements have changed.

The first rule on a PFD is to only look at those specifically designed for paddling and don’t go cheap. That doesn’t mean you have to pay and arm and a leg. There are specific women’s models, but that doesn’t necessarily mean you have to go that way. Try on a bunch and find ones that fit and feel good to have on. If you get very involved with kayaking, you’ll eventually have a bunch of life jackets. The same goes for boats and paddles.

Find a local dedicated paddling shop (not a big box or general sporting goods store) and go talk to them.

Better still take a lesson with them to show you how to get the fundamentals down correctly.

As for PFDs, get a good one. Many women on this forum favour Astral models but as @magooch says you should try on as many as you can…

https://www.astraldesigns.com/shop/paddlesports/womens

You can usually get 10%-15% off the list prices if you shop around.

First beginner mistake, which I and lots of people did, was the first above. Buying a shiny new boat that you will never get your money back on before spending some time learning how to paddle so you can make a good choice. Especially now -
not so far away from the fall sales in many places where you can pick up a boat that was used for demo or rental purposes. Take the suggestions that will get you some seat time in someone else’s boat before spending money on your own.

@kfbrady said:
As for PFDs, get a good one. Many women on this forum favour Astral models
I am a male, and I prefer Astral too.

The good thing about Astral is that the buoyancy panels on the front are split in two parts. One part form a tight “belt” around your belly, and this is the part that you tighten to avoid the PFD riding up around your ears. The other part sits higher, in front of the chest, and this part has a very lose fit. This makes upper body rotation much easier.

Most other PFDs I have seen, only have one buoyancy panel in the front (or two panels, but split vertically). So you have to tighten a rather stiff panel in front of your entire upper body to make sure that the PFD will not ride up.

I have seen that some Kokatat PFDs are designed in the same way as Astral’s (or perhaps it is the other way around - I don’t know who was first). So that could be an option too.

I think if you sing up for instruction they should cover all the questions you might have. I just went on an introductory course and the first our or so was about all sorts of gear.

If you are busty, you might like the Stohlquist BetSea - it is my favorite. The flotation panels in the front are tapered at the top, making re-entry of your kayak easier should you come out. There is less of a “shelf” to catch on the side of your boat.

@SpaceSputnik said:
I think if you sing up for instruction they should cover all the questions you might have. I just went on an introductory course and the first our or so was about all sorts of gear.

Do not overestimate the knowledge of instructors. I am an instructor, certified by my national paddling organisation, and there is a lot of equipment I haven’t tried. I also know that I use equipment I haven’t seen any other instructor using - for example my Astral PFD which I praised in my previous post.

Also, we instructors do not agree on everything so our teaching will be somewhat influenced by personal opinions. Just try asking an instructor if a paddle should be feathered or not.

So asking a question like this in a forum is a good thing. You will get a lot of differing advice from both instructors and other paddlers instead of just one opinion from one person which happen to be an instructor. But you will have to weed out the bad advice yourself.

@Allan Olesen said:

@SpaceSputnik said:

Do not overestimate the knowledge of instructors. I am an instructor, certified by my national paddling organisation, and there is a lot of equipment I haven’t tried. I also know that I use equipment I haven’t seen any other instructor using - for example my Astral PFD which I praised in my previous post.

Also, we instructors do not agree on everything so our teaching will be somewhat influenced by personal opinions. Just try asking an instructor if a paddle should be feathered or not.

So asking a question like this in a forum is a good thing. You will get a lot of differing advice from both instructors and other paddlers instead of just one opinion from one person which happen to be an instructor. But you will have to weed out the bad advice yourself.

Oh, most certainly. I am a big “ask the forums” guy myself. I just bought my first boat based specifically on input from members here. Just saying that for an initial lump of information talking to an instructor might be an effective way to get some bearing in an unknown area.