Installing a Deck Compass- Hull Pocket too Shallow?

I thought the Silva/Brunton 70P compass is pretty much the only one that can be mounted in a deck with a round pocket.

However when I attempted to install mine–it seems to end up in contact with the bottom of the hull pocket. This, according to the instructions, will create a leak…

It seems to need another 3-4 mm in depth. The 70P needs 40mm depth according to the instructions and I’m seeing 36-38mm as best as I can tell.

Has anyone else ever seen this?

Installed a 70P on P&H Volan. There was a plexiglass spacer that either came with the compass or the boat, but for the life of me I can’t remember which.

1 Like

First thing I thought was make a spacer with a piece of ABS or Starboard or similar. Looks like it was a common enough issue this company has or had them wholesale https://www.paddlerssupply.com/product/70p-compass-gasket/

1 Like

Thanks all…I wanted to rule out that there was a special compass…my boat is a P&H too but since it came used I did not get the spacer.

I think I am going to have a friend 3D print one…I have one gasket for top and 1 for the other side.

By the way the sharp pointed sheet metal screws are non-magnetic and they have been known to rip dry bags.

The advice is to blunt them down or use the machine screws and lock nuts.