Installing handles to sit-on rec?

Hello all. I own two recreational kayaks, one a sit-in and the other a sit-on. I spend far more time with the sit-on, but it’s also a bit heavier, especially after 3-4 hours paddling upstream before heading back down to my entry point. Just toying with the thought of installing a couple of handles, but didn’t know if that’s even possible without access to the underside? Appreciate any advice. Disclaimer: I know I am working with entry level kayaks but they get the job done for my needs (calm water floats mostly) :smiley:

Best for handles is bolts with washers and nuts on back side to spread load. If you can’t access the inside, you have 2 options that I can think of:

1. use threaded screws. Problem is they aren’t as strong as bolts and washers, so may pull out on use.
  2. install a hatch which then gives you access to inside to do bolts, plus also access to inside to store things. I did this with a sit on top surf kayak a while back. I installed a Sea-lect designs round deck plate which then allowed me to install pad eyes on he kayak (for grab lines).

@Peter-CA said:
Best for handles is bolts with washers and nuts on back side to spread load. If you can’t access the inside, you have 2 options that I can think of:

1. use threaded screws. Problem is they aren’t as strong as bolts and washers, so may pull out on use.
  2. install a hatch which then gives you access to inside to do bolts, plus also access to inside to store things. I did this with a sit on top surf kayak a while back. I installed a Sea-lect designs round deck plate which then allowed me to install pad eyes on he kayak (for grab lines).

I’ve done it too. Works great. If the skin is thin install some backing plates or fender washers.

Easy

http://www.sealectdesigns.com/groups/1818-webbing-handle-w-caps-kit

Can ship. Drop me a line.

See you on the water,
Marshall
The River Connection, Inc.
9 W. Market St.
Hyde Park, NY
845-229-0595 main
845-242-4731 mobile
Main: www.the-river-connection.com
Store: www.the-river-connection.us
Facebook: fb.me/theriverconnection

If the yak is heavy, I would be very careful of adding carry handles. they could tear right through the poly or what ever material the yak is made from