Insurance Claim, repair cost??

I recently bought a WS Tsunami (plastic, not glass)and had it shipped from out of state. When I recieved it, it had several deep gouges. I took a few photos and had them document the damage.

These are gouges, not scratches. My guess is that they were made with a forklift. Can these be fixed locally, and if so, how much should this cost? Is this something only the manufacturer can fix?

The insurance company will be calling soon, so I need to have some type of estimate of what the damage is. Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

IBCGUY

Let me guess…

– Last Updated: Jun-23-05 10:48 PM EST –

Forward Air?

If it is a new one, tell them you want another boat, period.

Indeed, it was

– Last Updated: Jun-23-05 11:03 PM EST –

Forward Air. Not sure that I want to go the hassle of returning /shipping another boat. I would rather them pay a fair price for the damage and then I can get on with paddling.

So, can the roto-molded boats be repaired?

Maybe you can post a pic.
I’m not an expert but I’m sure it can be fixed. Anything man can build, man can fix…

It may be noticable and you might explain that the resale value of the boat has dropped and you should be compensated for that also…

Worth a try… GH

Forward Air
is possibly the worst shipping company on this planet. A paddling buddy of mine had a CLC Chesapeake 17 (which he bought through P-net classified) shipped by them. The morons punched a hole completely through the side with a fork truck. To do that they had to have deliberately placed the kayak between a barrier of some kind and the fork truck. They wouldn’t insure it because even though it was wrapped in many layers of bubble wrap, it was not in a crate.

Forward Air is not a shipping company …

– Last Updated: Jun-24-05 10:01 AM EST –

I was told that Forward Air is not a shipping company. Told they are only a shipping agent. Any one ever seen a truck on the road with Forward Air painted on it? Me neither. Hummm ... That would mean they have no control over the shipment's safe cartage.

They seemed to be lucky for a while. No reported damages in the paddling circles I knew of, so every one was saying Forward was the one.

Then last fall the reports of damage started surfacing.

Good luck with your claim. Your MAJOR mistake in this scenario was accepting the damaged boat, taking the problem off their hands. The claim would normally be with the shipper. Now it is up to you to prove your claims. Up to you to push and hound them for settlement.

The first hand stories I have heard is they are a real pain to get an actual settlement from. They accused the shipper of shipping a damaged boat just to get otherwise uncovered damage paid for. The shipper and the lady that refused it of over stating the damage (I know the damage was not over stated as I bought the boat to repair for myself). Even though I offered to buy it on the spot and everything would be done Forward insisted on returning the boat, but wanted the shipper to pay for doing so. Boat was held for a few months, first at one end and then the other. The lady got a new boat without spending an extra dime. I finally got the boat at my price. Believe Forward finally paid only a part. The dealer will not ship any more boats. The shipping dealer and the shipping agent each claim the other screwed them. Etc...

In the past I have tried settling shipping claims on the receiving end. Even got POA from shipper. Never turned out clean and easy! Always a hassle. Always felt I got the short end.

Advice for anyone else receiving a boat by commercial carrier: 1) always unpack and inspect before accepting and signing anything! 2) If damaged, just walk, no, run away and leave the problem with the shipper and carrier.

Good Luck and PLEASE let us know how it turns out!

Happy Paddl'n!

Mick

Mick is right on…

Forward Air damaged a wood boat I had bought. Then I shipped a wood boat that at first they refused to insure until I complained of previous damage. I had “Fragile Kayak”, “top load only” and “ no forklifts” stickers all over it. You have to say a kayak prayer before you leave. That one made it fine.

I will not ship a composite boat again… unless it’s by a kayak shipper.

Contract
To avoid shipping liability entirely, make your sales contract FOB your address, rather than FOB seller’s place of business. I would expect most sellers to balk at this, but maybe it would work.

Risk of loss generally lies with the buyer once goods are delivered to a common carrier. FOB your address reverses this.

Do inspect for damage and immediately reject damaged goods.

I would ship a kayak crated only and would take images showing condition before shipping.