Interesting map of the tracks of hurricanes across FL since 1851

It was taken from this link, a good paddling friend that works with mapping sent me…
https://fdoh.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Cascade/index.html?appid=61c614e17fdc4f12af97da0474a08391

2 Likes

That’s what happens when you are stuck out in the ocean by yourself :blush:.

I wonder how many people would have moved to FL if that was a sign at the state line right next to a sign warning about sharks, gators, and rattlesnakes. Florida has the most reported shark attacks of any place in the world. :flushed:

The map represents 300 hurricanes in 169 years.

Lots of people up to their #$$ in snow and ice ignore those little issues until they become reality.

1 Like

That map just looks to me like God tried to scribble that whole state out.

When your AC is on almost everyday makes up for the critters…
We say when you live on the water… sometimes you live in the water…
BTW my car doesn’t have a heater…

Based on that volume of hurricanes, I believe that is precisely the case

Actually those critters cause few casualties, and are generally far less dangerous than driving. However, they get a much greater fear response in many people. I have been around all of them multiple times. They do need to be respected. As do Hurricanes. I was impressed by the map.

The Florida I grew up in on the SE coast no long exists. I find it shocking when I am down there anymore. Sort of wish more people thought of it like the signs I suggested. C’est la vie…

1 Like

I’ve heard on NPR that the Australians have more shark attacks now. Chum the waters!

I live in Canada, so I have no personal experience and very little general knowledge about hurricanes, but I’m shocked by all the different directions represented here. I knew there’d be variation, but I was still expecting to see a generally unidirectional path. Kinda generally southeast to northwest or something. That’s really interesting.

Hurricanes can start in the gulf of Mexico or the Atlantic. Lots of ways they can push into Florida.

And they meander all over the place .

1851 vs 2020… 169 years…shoot let our pup live that long and she’d cover that many tracks.

We are also the lightning capital of the world. We have engineering that can defend against lighting strikes, hot days and hurricanes. Fences and good practices keep the critters at bay. But Tornados, like in the midwest, go and take what they want. Blizzards always bring their problems, but not here. Our last snow was Dec 23…1989.