Interesting place where the serial number is

I recently acquired a like new Epic Indurance 18 carbon fiber kayak and there was no serial number to be found any where on the boat.
Yesterday I started to change out the straps that hold down the hatch compartment covers to ones with a “fastek” buckle and in order to see the nuts on the underside of the deck had to use a hand held mirror.
Much to my amazement , there right beside the nut was the serial number. The hatch opening is too small to get your head in so with out the handheld mirror it would be impossible to see, and using the mirror the numbers and letters were up side down, so we ended up using a cell phone to take a picture of it.

Now I would like to inscribe the number on the rear right in accordance with USCG specs. and am thinking of using a Dremel, but not sure if that will screw up the gel coat? - any suggestions or comments on that ?

Jack L

I just used a dermal to add an HIN number and hidden duplicate HIN to a 1971 wayfarer sailboat, It wasn’t required before November 1972 so the boat didn’t have one. SC issued me one as they require all boats that must have a title to have a HIN. The gel coat isn’t structural it only smooth’s the hull and provides UV protection. The USGC requires a duplicate HIN hidden under a fitting or out of sight. That is what you found on your boat.

Now, if only Epic would apply a bit of that same bit of subtlety to their logo. Sheesh, any Epic owner seriously deserves to paid handsomely for all the advertising they end up doing for the company. I’ve had the chance to find out how enormous the payout is for having a billboard on your property, and the Epic logo is every bit as obtrusive as a billboard.

Oh, regarding the question, you could use an engraving tool. Some boats even have the HID applied that way at the factory. It’s very readable, but does no real damage. Most people don’t have much reason to own an engraving tool, but I bet you can rent one.

I have a Nordkapp, Greenlander Pro and Recluse and all 3 have their serial numbers engraved into the hull near the tail of the boat. It shows what shop sold the boat as well as when. For example my Nordkapp was purchased from Poseidon Kayak Imports on 1/03/84.

Current Designs boats have serial number inside in a few places also.

@Guideboatguy said:
Now, if only Epic would apply a bit of that same bit of subtlety to their logo. Sheesh,

I thought the same this about the Bell logo on the front of my Yellowstone Solo, so I took it off. When I got a Wildfire I left the logo on, more for resale value than anything.

Why do I see a lot of Epic boats with the owner’s name on it? Does Epic put it on?

Now I would like to inscribe the number on the rear right in accordance with USCG specs. and am thinking of using a Dremel, but not sure if that will screw up the gel coat? - any suggestions or comments on that ?

I’d be very careful, as Epic boats are light and the gelcoat is thin. Why not just print a simple label with a label maker? Come to think of it, why do you care about having the HIN on the stern? Do you think there’s any real chance that the CG is going to stop you and cite you for not having the HIN on the stern?

A permanent HIN does provide some help if it is stolen.

@bnystrom said:

I’d be very careful, as Epic boats are light and the gelcoat is thin. Why not just print a simple label with a label maker? Come to think of it, why do you care about having the HIN on the stern? Do you think there’s any real chance that the CG is going to stop you and cite you for not having the HIN on the stern?

I have no worry about the CG, but it sure would be a deterrent to theft if it is visable

Jack L

Doubt a hin stops a thief. Redid one kayak I have. Went over it when I painted the hull. Photographed it and still have two or three more inside hull.

I recall giving a few creative suggestions in another thread recently to deter theft…

@PaddleDog52 said:
Doubt a hin stops a thief. Redid one kayak I have. Went over it when I painted the hull. Photographed it and still have two or three more inside hull.

OK, I should have used Cast0ffs word “help” rather than “deterrant”.
Not only that, but every canoe and kayak I have ever owned, bought or sold has had the number on the rear of the hull, and since this is added to the fleet I’ll add the number to where it can be seen

Jack L

A number engraved into the gelcoat could be sanded off in a heartbeat and re-coated. No one would be the wiser. I really don’t see the point and if you mess it up, you’ll likely be angry at yourself.

I just went through the rigmarole of putting a State HIN on a 1971 16’ sailboard that had to be titled and taxed in SC, but didn’t need an HIN or title in FL were I bought it. Each state has its own laws about boat titles and registration. If an HIN is missing or removed when a boat is sold, then the boat is subject to a Marine investigation. There are web sites that list the HIN of stolen boats. A DNR inspection was required, and an affidavit signed to the effect the boat wasn’t stolen. As well as a notarized bill of sale from the seller stating why it had no title, before they issued a HIN and title. Now like you said the CG or DNR may never look for the HIN on your kayak. However if your boat is stolen there is the HIN to prove it is yours.

CD HIN is in a few places so if a crook steals it he won’t usually know where to look and to modify all the HINS on the kayak would be very specious.