International Space Station sightings!

Had a great sighting last night with my wife just standing out in front of our house. It was very high in the sky and visible for about 4 minutes. We also enjoyed watching it fly over a few days ago. Tonight it’s supposed to be only 22 degrees above the horizon at 9:07 pm and I hope it’s visible.

If you google International Space Station sightings plus the name of your city you’ll get a list of times that you may be able to see it over the next week or two. I highly recommend it…very cool. Write down the times and set an alarm.

I have looked at it a number of times. My most memorable was when the last Space Shuttle was docked with the ISS. I’m old enough to remember going out and watching the first US satellite Echo pass overhead. That was almost the extent of what it could do too! The American answer to Sputnik. I have an abiding interest in the heavens that began in childhood. Great idea to post this. I was able to watch just about every shuttle launch until the summer of 1984 when we moved to SC. All I had to do was be outside look up toward the ESE at the right time and if it wasn’t cloudy see the launch when it gained some altitude. It felt like a privilege to be able to watch first hand the dawning of the Space Age, what a unique time and we got to witness men on the moon!

Yep, I was lucky enough to work on the Gemini capsule in the early 60’s. I was then hired to work on Apollo but we had a war going on and I was reassigned to military projects but always felt close to Apollo.

Great link, Tom. Thanks. It will be visible up here in the north 9/25 through 10/11 in the early evening. Just about directly over my house. Alas, raining tonight and tomorrow. Maybe this weekend.

@grayhawk said:
Yep, I was lucky enough to work on the Gemini capsule in the early 60’s. I was then hired to work on Apollo but we had a war going on and I was reassigned to military projects but always felt close to Apollo.

Wow Grayhawk one of our space pioneers even if you stayed earth bound. Something to be proud of!

@castoff said:

@grayhawk said:

Wow Grayhawk one of our space pioneers even if you stayed earth bound. Something to be proud of!

And I thought I was old!

And I thought I was old!
Yep they were still teaching vacuum tube theory back then. Big deal when we got digital computers.
For a young’un it was really neat being around space stuff and the latest military weapons.
It paid well and most had muscle cars as did the young pilots.

Thanks for the link on when to see it! Now if the clouds will clear.