Introduction - kimbo from Australia

I moved the plastic moulded seat 30mm rearward. I am really pleased with this mod as far the trim of the boat.

The rubber/ EPDM hatch covers on our Winner kayaks were in varying stages of perishing. I started searching for aftermarket replacements but found that the Winner kayak hatches were a unique size. I found the manufacturer in China and was able to arrange to get 8 replacement hatch covers. Really great service, excellent prices and quick freight.

Looks like you have jumped in with both feet! Looks Like fun too. I have thought about a kayak sail, but have sailboats for that fix.

Yes, we’ll I might have just bought and am restoring a 40 year old Laser sailing dinghy. The price was too good to pass up.

LOL, sounds like you may have caught the one move boat syndrome many of us have.

yeah for sure! Sailing the kayak is fun but it doesn’t quite scratch the sailing itch. However I may find I am too old and unfit to hike out from the Laser. One thing is for sure is that the 1.5 sqm sail overpowers my sea kayak. I am selling that rig and keeping a 1sqm sail rig.

I have a Wayfarer 16 I did some restoration on. I think you will enjoy the Laser. You might find a sailing club that races them you could join. Thanks for the heads up about the size of kayak sail you found most useful.

The times they are a changing. I sold the Laser to buy some chainsaw equipment (polesaw etc). Just back to paddling now. Bought a greenland paddle and loving it.

Our region had a recent “visit” by a Catergory 2 Tropical Cyclone (Jasper). Fortunately my town was far enough away of the crossing point to sustain any damage. Unfortunately further North there was sustained torrential rain, like Noah saw, and a lot of flash flooding and associated damage to homes and infrastructure. @sing would have drooled at the waves it produced but not all the debris that was in them! Some foreshores were scoured and others like my local had an extra dump of sand. Anyway tomorrow is looking promising for paddle out on the Coral Sea.

I helped out a friend to locate and take a mooring (buoy). Sea kayaks aren’t the best work platform when using both hands on a task in mildly choppy conditions - great practice and good exercise for my core. I really regretted not taking a knife and have promptly ordered a pfd knife to avoid that in the future.

I have been prototyping a very simple paddle tether from paracord. The tether has a loop at each end. The fixed loop is for attaching the tether to the kayak. The other loop is a sliding loop and can be opened up to slide over the paddle blade. It is then a simple matter to then push up the loose outer to close up the loop again. I hope the photos explain it better than I have!

The sliding loop is locked using a locked brummel about 10cm about the fixed loop (also locked using a locked brummel).