Is an SOT with a leaky hatch in danger of sinking?

I’ve been looking at reviews for the Eddyline Caribbean 14. It seems great in all ways except that it has been mentioned that the fore hatch doesn’t seal well. Should the kayak capsize, would this be a problem? Might the kayak sink, or is there “enough” of a seal so that there would be time to right it?

Leaky hatches usually refer to a small amount of water coming in when the hatch is submerged (or sometimes, even just when water splashes on it). Usually not enough to make a boat actually sink. In cases where I have talked about leaky hatches in my boats, it was usually a cup or two of water in the hatch after a bunch of rolls or rescues. Annoying, as things in the hatch could get wet. But not really unsafe.

Theoretically, a SOT likely couldn’t actually sink, even with a large leak. To actually sink, all hatches/enclosed space would have to be flooded. There should be some air stuck somewhere inside it that would keep it afloat.

If it is a worry, adding some inherent flotation would be a solution. Stuff pool noodles, float bags, etc. into areas within the hull. Things that even if water got into the hull, would provide flotation.

Of course, there could be other impacts of a partially flooded boat. Even a gallon or two of water in a hull will make a boat sit lower (which could make the leak point now be submerged, compounding the problem). And significant amount of water in the hull could also make the boat less stable.
{EDIT - added text} and at some point when enough water gets in it, the baot will sit so low that you won;t be able to get back on top of it. Won’t be sunk but won;t provide enough flotation for a person.

It’s a SOT, so highly doubtful it will sink. Raftergirl has one and uses it to guide on western rivers. She hasn’t been active lately but did write a testimonial at the Eddyline website.

@string has one as well, so maybe he has some information on the bow hatch.

Thanks for the reply. The foam is something I wouldn’t have considered.

Short answer: Not likely at all to sink because of a hatch leak. SOT displace huge volumes of water and will stay afloat when almost 90% or more flooded. Most hatch systems on most SOTs leave a lot to be desired and some water gets inside, also lots of SOTs have issues with water coming in the inch worm pad eyes. The best SOTs I owned for dry hatches were Heritage and Hobie kayaks, Ocean Kayak brand kayaks were fairly wet inside. Not a big issue just use dry bags, which you will want to use anyway. The cheap box store SOTs you can buy are really bad. A surf SOT in heavy waves with leaky paddeyes might take on a quart of water during 3 to four hours of surfing - your run of the mill flat water paddler in an SOT will never have an issue from the hatches.

Perhaps String can do a test on the Caribbean if he still has it?

@Rookie said:
It’s a SOT, so highly doubtful it will sink. Raftergirl has one and uses it to guide on western rivers. She hasn’t been active lately but did write a testimonial at the Eddyline website.

@string has one as well, so maybe he has some information on the bow hatch.

I can’t imagine that being a problem. The hatch is well above the water line . I’m wondering how you would know it leaks unless you are plowing through waves or it’s out in a down pour.

I think the most common case for sot leaks is the cracked leaking Scupper hole caused by a cart.

Most sot riders quit before the boat in rain or waves.

Either way some weather strip peel n stick from the hardware store can slow it down to workable levels.