Is it impossible?

-- Last Updated: Jun-03-07 12:57 AM EST --

Is it impossible to flip a capsized recreational kayak with wide/open cockpit that is nearly half full of water?

Can it be done solo? How do you get all water out?

gakayaker must know, but I have helped
emmpty some rec kayaks on the Broad near Athens Ga. Of course it’s much easier if you can stand on the bottom and the current isn’t trying to snag your legs. Two people help also. It’s just a matter of raising the boat while rolling the cockpit down to allow the water to run out.

I like to dump a canoe or rec kayak by pulling it over another canoe or kayak. This may also facilitate re-entry for the paddler.

Small amounts of residual water can be removed with a hand pump, bailer, or sponge.

Float bags added to the bow or stern make all these things easier.

The GAkayaker says:

– Last Updated: Jun-01-07 11:47 AM EST –

You really didn't give enough info.

Is it possible to flip a capsized recreational kayak with wide/open cockpit that is nearly half full of water?

Can it be done solo? How do you get all water out?

In answer to the first part. Yes you can flip a rec kayak full or half full but it isn't easy.
Briefly stated. Stand with your back towards shore and pull the kayak towards you but not too far. This takes a few times practicing. Using you knees, tilt the kayak and empty some of the water. If you pull the kayak too far you will be trying to tilt the weight of the kayak plus the water. Just pull it out far enough so you only get to tilt it and empty a little. This way the river is helping. Tilt the kayak until the edge of the kayak touches the water. Put the kayak down and pull it towards you again and repeat.
Be patient and do not lift with your back. This takes several times to empty the kayak.
You can do it and you can do it easier if you don't try to rush.
When the kayak is almost empty you should be able to drag it on shore and flip it.
I don't know how big or strong you are but if you are patient and the water is calm anyone can or should be able to do it. I can empty mine and sponge the last little bit.
Now if you are on moving water...it is harder but done the same way. Practice this several times before it becomes mandatory.
It isn't easy. Most paddlers have difficulty because they are already frustrated about turning over and now want to bully a kayak 1/2 full of water.

Great, I like the part about being
patient and letting gravity do the work. Some people do hurt themselves trying to horse a boat full of water all the way up on the bank, so they can open the drain plug. Water comes out the cockpit much faster.

If you mean flipping it in deep water,
yes, but if you mean in the shallows or partially out of the water, no.

On our little nine foot rec kayaks, I installed drain plugs, on the top rear deck just in front of the flotation.

We use a plastic orange juice jug with the cap still on, and the bottom cut off, and keep it tethered to the back of the seat.

When you inadvertaintly go over that thre foot water fall and get a boat full of water, swim it into shore, and then use the jug to get as much water out as you can.

Then pull it farther up on the shore, remove the drain plug and pick the boat up by the bow to let the water drain to the back and out.

All the grand children were playing in the rec boats over this past weekend, and I had to use that method several times.

Cheers,

JackL