Is it possible to shorten a GP by ~4"?

Is the “NEW” wooden Greenland Paddle a commercial made paddle or is it one somebody had laying around? {and might need more attention to become as you like it} I doubt that an 87 inch Greenland Paddle is your length. Sounds long for your size and your kayaks size.

The “new” paddle was made by the original owner at a class at Tuktu. Looks to my amateur eyes like he did a good job, and he allowed they said so, too.

Yes, I’m pretty certain it’s too long for me. The question is should I assume 210 is good since it feels good to me with my Gearlab; or is it possible when I learn some technique that I’ll wish it were longer.

I wouldn’t assume anything. I do know paddlers that are your size that do use an 87 inch long Greenland paddle. You are probably doing a Euro stroke with a high angle instead of a canted stroke with a lower or medium angle. I’m just guessing…I would probably guess your kayak width and your height would lend themselves to using a shorter than 87 inch …but with a lower canted stroke I think 80 or 81 or 82 inch paddle would be too short. If you like the look of the wood paddle and the loom is the right length. I wouldn’t do anything with sizing until you get to try a few more sizes. Then take a stroke class. If you don’t care for anything about the paddle and it’s just a potential The do a bit of cutting, but no more than a 1/2 inch from each blade at a time. Measure from each tip to find the paddle center so you have a place to measure from for center when done cutting. Does it have a squared tip? I think Tuktu does those. If so , depending on how you want the paddle to preform, You can also change that if you go the customize it route.

OK, thank you. I have been using a high angle and also trying to cant the paddle, but probably I’m not doing it right. I’m sure I do not have enough experience to tell what is ideal for me, but the paddle was a great deal and I couldn’t pass it up (which is the entire story of my acquisition of new gear) :wink:

Anyway the paddle has a rounded tip, same as the Gearlab, but is thicker overall. Thanks for the tip regarding measuring.

1 Like

I’m with you on not being able to pass up a great deal – your Gearlab acquisition was an absolute steal!

1 Like

Yeah, I’m worried if anything ever happens to it I’ll be forced to pony up to replace it!

At that length with a shoulder paddle I cant see how the loom length could be correct? If it was a shoulder less paddle then ok. Loom length matters on a shouldered paddle.

I’m not sure what you mean. Why can’t the loom length be correct?

Well if the original maker of this paddle made a paddle this long I would assume that he is a larger person who would require a longer length loom for proper arm spacing. Measure the loom length and say what it is would give me a better idea if the loom is correct. . I am just guessing as I dont have ALL the dimensions of the paddle. Over all length is just one of the measurements needed.

Ah, OK, thanks, I understand now. The loom is 19” which is very close to how I naturally hold my shoulderless GP. Of course it’s possible I’m holding it wrong…

19" is pretty reasonable unless you are narrow shouldered.

at 5’6" and with a 22 inch wide kayak and sitting rather low in it. I would expect this length of loom {19 inch} or maybe even a 20 inch loom would work for you. Anyway depending on your build…but most people get fairly close to their optimal size for paddle measurements and the acclimate to whatever they have.

Unless you have several to try that are cut the same except with one thing such as loom length changed, most would swear by the size or shape that they have acclimated to.

OK, good, I thought 19" would work well for me, and as I said, since my Gearlab is shoulderless next time I use it I can measure where I’m actually holding it during a paddle (vs pretending to paddle, as I’m doing now). Lacking the ability to try out multiple variations, I’m thinking I’ll try taking off a couple of inches and see if I like the longer length before going right down to 210 cm. Thanks for all the informative and interesting comments!

I would suspect you to like it about 85 inches long. Maybe 85 1/2

Whatever you do, you will probably like for awhile. And in the doing, it will give you a feeling of freedom to do/modify further if needed…and then there is the acclimate thing. You basically just have to get close to optimal and you will acclimate. It seems that if you are 1/2 inch either side of your optimal you will think it’s perfect and acclimate. {this is true for both loom length and paddle length, not width}

This is why when a person calls a paddle maker on the phone to order a paddle custom made , in their particular size, it generally works…acclimation… and believing that it really is their optimal size because it was custom made for them.

I have a somewhat different take on this in that I don’t think there is a single optimal paddle length for a particular size paddler. There’s simply too much variation in strength, skill and personal preference for that. Add different boats and paddling conditions into the mix and it further clouds the picture.

While changing paddle length alters one’s technique, it’s primarily a change in paddling cadence, much like shifting gears on a bike. While I generally prefer an 84" paddle to the 90" paddles I started with, I can paddle just fine with either. Who knows, I may actually like an 86" paddle even better, but it’s not as if either of the other paddle lengths is hampering me in any way. While I agree with Roy that paddlers adapt to what they’re using, that adaptation ability covers a much broader range than 1/2" +/- from a theoretical optimum length.

I certainly encourage people to experiment with various paddle designs (shoulder shape, blade width, blade profile) and lengths, but for an an adult male of near average size, something in the 84"-88" range will work fine and won’t hamper your ability to develop skills or enjoy paddling. Being curious about the differences is good, but I wouldn’t lose any sleep over it.

Thanks, good info. I am an adult female of near average size, though. :slight_smile:

When I’ve used longer paddles I find them unwieldy, though I’ve only used longer Euro paddles. In fact the longer Euro paddles challenge my strength more, like holding something heavy on a too-long shovel. I also feel less able to control the boat well. Maybe if I were a more accomplished paddler this wouldn’t be an issue.

Anyway I’ll try the paddle out before cutting, though I’ll be quite surprised if I end up wanting it that long. And who knows, maybe I’ll even be able to take some lessons with the GP if the pandemic lets up.

After giving lots of measurements to Bill Bremer (Lumpy paddles), he carved an 84" long WRC paddle with a 20" loom and 3.5" blade for me (am 5’4" and paddle a 21" beamed boat). Also gave me lots of tips, the foremost being to use the entire blade as I had paid for it.

I find the Qajaq USA site quite helpful but also learned that the paddle lets me know when I’m screwing up. Strokes - Qajaq USA

I have used a longer paddle during a GP class when the coach took my paddle and gave me his. He liked mine but I sure didn’t like his.

Thanks, I’ll take a look at that page.

I’m surprised at the 3.5" blade. The “new” one I have the blade is more like 3 3/8 and that feels about as big as I can comfortably grasp. You must have long fingers.

My cedar GP has 3 1/2" blades (Gearlab Akiak is 3 1/4") and 18" loom. It was custom made from a detailed set of metrics the professional builder requested from me including wrist to fingertip and thumb grip circumference. Though I suppose with an un-shouldered paddle the exact loom width isn’t as critical? I say “suppose” since none of my 3 GPs is shouldered.

I’ve never used a shouldered GP – I am sure that doing so would affect a few of the techniques I use and require some adaptation.

Just average hands and fingers. Bill gave me a list of the measurements he wanted, which included those noted by Willowleaf. There were also lots of phone conversations. I treasure that Lumpy paddle, especially so because he closed down his business.