Is it possible to shorten a GP by ~4"?

Interesting. It seems as if everyone who has one loves their Lumpy paddle. Plus, great name.

I suppose I could sand down the shoulders if I decide I don’t like them.

Oops! Sorry about the misunderstanding of your gender. What I’ve found is that most small-to-medium height women are well-served with paddles in the 78"-82" range, with taller women getting into the same sizes as most men. Women tend to have smaller hands for a given height, so smaller looms and narrower blades often work better.

Willowleaf, I recommend that people start with a shouldered paddle, as it makes learning the canted stroke almost effortless. With a straight wrist, the pressure on the upper shoulder automatically cants the blade. I’ve used both and I prefer a paddle with pronounced (1/2") shoulders with an abrupt transition, but it’s strictly a personal preference and I have fairly large hands. That said, if you’re comfortable with a shoulderless paddle, I don’t know that there would be any benefit switching to a shouldered paddle, unless there was some particular issue you were trying to address. My girlfriend, who’s 5’1" with small hands, prefers a shoulderless paddle with a small loom and blades that max out at around 3 1/8" wide.

Perhaps the most important thing to remember is that there’s no absolute right or wrong here. Paddles are as individual as the paddlers who use them. A quick look at Gail Ferris’ study of several Greenland paddles (Greenland Paddles - Recorded by Gail Ferris) makes that clear and there are myriad other examples online.

To quote The Isley Brothers, :musical_note: It’s your thing, do what you want to do. :musical_note:

No worries, I sure don’t expect people on an internet board to know or recall my personal details! Anyway interesting to hear that about shouldered paddles, maybe it’ll be helpful for me to have this shouldered one as I learn. Thanks for the link, looks good.

And, I love that song!

as long as the width of the ends is stll 3 - 3 and a half inches wide i’d say yes
2" off each end
@bnystrom Brian will answer better than i but i have the same issue i aquired a gp and intend taken 1"-2" off each end too shorten it…