Is it too late to start iSUPing? (Climate)

I wanted to start iSUPing this summer but was too busy. I live on Long Island, NY.

Given that it is already late October…for those of you familiar with the climate and water temperatures here, how many more weeks do I realistically have to get started?

And what is the earliest I can start again?

Is a basic Oneill wetsuit capable of extending the time I can do this into the cooler weather or is it very dangerous?

I guess i should just use common sense and not go when it is cold and stay in the shallows but would like to know if anyone SUPs in these months and has a good time.

I was having some decision paralysis and thinking of just getting a Bote Breeze Aero bc outdoorgearlab. I have storage space but drive a 2023 prius and i think transport of a non inflatable might be tricky/intimidating.

I’m a 145lb male, in the 30s age range, complete beginner but kayaked a lot growing up. I realize with SUPing you wont have the cover from cold water in a kayak so am curious if this is a…terrible idea…given the weather here

Probably not a good idea. You’ll need a good wet suit 5 mm with a hood or a dry suit. If you are not used to getting into cold water, falling in water that is below 40 degrees is brutal on the face and head. With a 4/3 Oneil wet suit I am comfortable into the low 50s for water temps, and have done down to 45 F, but was not comfortablel or safe for long. If you can check when the water warms back up to that range and start out in the Spring. A dry suit is good for low temps with the proper clothing underneath, but cold water and winter winds are really hard on the face/head. You’ll also need gloves and booties that are thick enough are very awkward on a SUP.