Is sea kayaking somehow limited to older folks?

Probably. I email on my cell phone. Screen is too small for my eyes, and proof reading suffers when my eyes are tired. Keep on me and I’ll be shamed into doing better.

3 Likes

I recently relocated from Virginia to New England (largely motivated by kayaking). I work in the maritime industry (engineer).
On storage, that is somewhat of an issue to consider. My last home was a townhouse with a small backyard. It was big enough to build a lean to (covered from weather) where a few of the kayaks lived. Of course, we are kayak hoarders and that meant the rest of the kayaks were kept in a storage unit. Luckily, the barn at the new house is big enough for all of them!

2 Likes

That will be my new presidential campaign slogan:
A Barn For Every Kayaker” with ABFEK on the blue green baseball caps.

5 Likes

My husband (almost 67) and I (71) have kayaked since 2004. To seniors exercise is super important. We used to kayak after work. Having retired in 2011 & 2015, we now kayak 4 to 5x a week, depending on weather & on season. Kayaking is our gymnasium, We take lots of pics of wildlife with our compact camera’s 40x zoom. The kayaks we bought in 2004 & 2007 now cost DOUBLE what we paid for them, new!

2 Likes

Like you and @tdaniel I really enjoy a good solo paddle. Rivers are my love. Most of them around TX are flat water unless you catch 'em after a big rain. My interest in sea kayaks and other long fast boats is based mostly on my desire for a craft that will enable me to do longer up and back trips on rivers as well as the occasional overnight. I’m still trying to figure out where my personal compromise spot is between speed and maneuverability for the “right” next boat. Enjoying learning from the wide swath of experience on this forum.

1 Like

I just turned 53, I started kayaking about 10 years go. I have never bought a new boat. I always bought used or built my own. Kayaking does not need to be expensive! The most I ever spent on a boat was $500

3 Likes

70 and 77. Started with a canoe when the kids were young. Went to rec boats when the kids and the farm animals were gone. Then on to sea kayaks. No we have Stellar sea kayaks for saving our backs, arms and shoulders with the weight. We did not go out as much this year but love to spend a couple weeks in Stoning and Brooklin in Maine.

2 Likes

When I bought my first sea kayak, about 38 years ago, I usually paddled with a group of guys, most of them about my own age. Today, all of them have either found other recreational pursuits, retired and moved away, become lone paddlers like myself or died. During that time I’ve owned a dozen different kayaks including a couple of delightful Feathercraft folders. I now count but three double paddle boats in my garage, an Epic GPX, a Feathercraft Aironaut inflatable (used only in Florida in the winter) and a Hornbeck New Tricks 13 that I recently found at an estate sale.

I still paddle whenever I can and when the wind isn’t blowing too hard but those all day paddles are now a thing of the past. Small waters, salt marsh channels, little rivers and mangrove tunnels provide me with greater pleasure than wide waters ever did. It just took a good deal of time to find that out.

Years ago I could easily hoist a fifty-five pound kayak onto my shoulder and carry it a hundred yards or so across a beach to the water. Today, no mas! I’m now in my 82nd year and hope to get in a few more years on the water before I must turn in my paddle but, even now, I have my eye on a very pretty little Swift pack canoe. I truly hope that anyone reading this, whether you paddle a kayak or canoe or, for that matter, an SUP, will enjoy as many happy hours afloat as I have. Best, Jake

7 Likes

I’m kind of like you @jmyers , turning 83 before year’s end and modifying my kayak habits from when I was younger. Worse, I’m small and puny. I mostly paddle solo and am very safety aware. I prefer my lightest kayak, just under 40 pounds and at 15.5’ x 23" with skeg. At the wind speeds when I use it, there is no weathercocking - a further simplification.

1 Like

Who cares as long as I get the drift.

If its important enough to read, it’s important to write properly. The word guessing option can make us lazy.

At one time we had to type every letter.

Ok I’ll be watching U

Hukd un fonix wurkd fer me.

My son-in-law admonishes me for creating my own dictionary when talking to my kids. Like who wants some “snaps” instead of “snacks”, or “probly” instead of “probably”, or “tormado” instead of “tornado”. So if you see those words, deal with it. That’s just the way I spell them. Like datsun dogs.

I thought they were nissan dogs now.

2 Likes

Talk about showing your age. (I had a “Datsun” way back when. LOL!)

sing

2 Likes

Nissans are a revamp of the old Datsun that rusted, like the color of the dogs. Nissan is the Japanese version. Datsuns are dogs of German origin. I think.

I did too. A dark green station wagon.

Had a hatchback. I got my license right after the start of the first “gas shortage” crisis of 73.

sing

2 Likes

My first car bought new in 1978 was a Datsun B210 (the “Honeybee” which came in any color you wanted as long as it was pale yellow, had a 3 speed stick, no carpeting and an AM radio, all for $2,975 dealer list).

Re Nissan. Back when that was still the company name, their main competitor, Toyota, came out with a sporty model called the “MR2” meant to compete with Nissan’s popular Z series. This seemed to be an acronym (like the '84 Dodge Omni GLH supposedly stood for “goes like hell”) and the company claimed it meant “Midship Runabout”, a rather awkward notion. But anyone who spoke Japanese (or at least had the limited vocabulary one picks up in Japanese martial arts training). would know that “MR2” (i.e. “Mister Two”) would be pronounced “Nee San”.

3 Likes