Is sea kayaking somehow limited to older folks?

Days away from 72. Again a couple of weeks of waking up and wondering how the hell did that happen?

I have distracting activities, paddle much less and less aggressively. Finally had to join a gym again because my exercise was not keeping up with the level of fitness I wanted. Not a terribly high level, but more than a slug so the back pain and the knee twitches stay at bay. That seems to take better habits now than before.

But I saved enough skills to still do what most appealed to me about it, the freedom of being on the water especially offshore.

I did get a Hullivator several years ago though. :grinning:

3 Likes

It happens. I’m just happy I figured out how to do it before it was too late. I had enough base knowledge to help rebuild after my shoulder damage.

Joining the crowd here. I’d been biking only for a year of so after I gave up on a Renault R10. Picked up a '71 Datsun Pickup in '76. A rust bucket but good times. It had Mud & Snows on the back & never got stuck as long as I had a shovel to load some snow in the bed for a little weight. I replaced it with a new Datsun 510 wagon (in blue). Enjoyed that one too although it had some carb issues.

2 Likes

I’m 26!
Have only recently got into it, but love it - much more into the exploration side of paddle rather than running rapids or doing cartwheels!
Picked up a second hand sea kayak with the view of shelling out for a nice one further down the line. They are expensive, possibly why younger paddlers aren’t committing to it.

4 Likes

What body of water do you paddle.

Almost exactly one year behind you, @Celia . Good grief.

3 Likes

The 70’s are the new 30’s, dontcha know. Got you both beat at 73.

4 Likes

My body would challenge that statement. I’m 75 and it is nothing like several earlier decades , as best I can remember.

2 Likes

Dangit String. You popped my balloon.
Ceila had me all excited about my 70th B-day.

Physically I was doing a lot better at 30 then I am now.

1 Like

I was doing a lot better the day before my last birthday than I am today.

1 Like

what happened on your B-day John?

Where have you been for 16 years!?!? That’s the longest hiatus I have seen in my entire forum career! Welcome back!

I was about 26 when I joined this forum and held youngest forum regular for quite a while. Basically until I aged out of being young. Lol

I will propose a slightly different contributing factor to the geriatric nature of kayaking - low exposure to young people leads to atrophy / attrition of a sport over time.

Kids are exposed to pretty much every sport before paddling. Certainly sea kayaking. It requires a paddling obsessed parent or uncommon child to get basic exposure to paddling as a common past time.

In my case, we canoed at church camp and would occasionally canoe down a slow river throughout childhood. Both some of my favorite memories. Eventually I grew up and wanted to canoe again… then I fell down the paddling hole to become a level 10 nerd. But I am different than most.

At any rate, my childhood experiences were the spark that lit my fire for paddling in adulthood.

So take your kids paddling regularly!

5 Likes

Got a day older

True, and to make things more difficult, paddling requires automotive transport for almost all people. A bicycle, OTOH, can be independently pedaled by a child, right from home. INDEPENDENCE!

1 Like