Is the Paddle Worth it?

right on
you’re right on with tweaking. a half ounce of wood removed doesn’t sound light much, but if it came from a chunky edge or by reducing the area of the blade just a bit, the paddle can feel like you removed a pound.

Does a Mercedes cover the miles better
… than a Scion? Same kind of thing.

Sure, maybe?
First, lets discuss high end. Paddles range from $25 for Smoker Craft, Carlisle, etc, to $600 for a custom Quimby. Therefore midrange, price is $312, but that is the median not the mode.

So high end would include Werner and Zaveral’s best, Dog Paddles, Quimbies, and used Moores, and Ibis.

All that aside, whether you need a better paddle is kinda up to you. A better traditional paddle, a Kettelwell, or a Grey Owl’s Sagemore, etc will be an improvement over a run of mill traditional stick. Better blade fairing, better balance, better slicing, but the benefits are personal. Cambered blades stall on running draws at greater angles and slice more true.

As Kim mentioned, if you sit and switch, a bent might be in order. Decent ones start at ~ $100 from Fox Worx, up through Zav’s’s best ~$260. You want the WW reinforced one, not the 8oz wonder.

If you want a straight blade for kneeling, FoxWorx will have a Freestyle stick by ice-out ~ $125, but the Bending Branches has a nice cambered stick, and Cricket has nicer sticks a little over over $200, all under average pricing.

But it comes down to your commitment to paddling. if you want more control, and maybe enjoyment, in paddling, that is a finite goal and a better paddle will help. And, you’ll arrive at destination faster and more rested and with a smile on your face.

If you’re just focused on the campsite at Basswood Lake, and don’t particularly enjoy the work getting there, well, any damn stick will probably do; try a longish double blade, say 240cm.

WHen you’re only

“You want the WW reinforced one, not
the 8 oz wonder”. Yes. The paddle had the 800 number on it which was essentially worthless when I snapped it in half on the Missinaibi. It was not reinforced on the backface. Did not do a pry real well.

Operator error.

Maybe
If he is tripping -

racing, no.

Bent shaft Zav in whitewater

– Last Updated: Dec-05-11 10:16 PM EST –

There are differences of opinion I guess - I would not use it for slalom no, but for tripping in a mixture of flat and mild whitewater its great. Short easy class 2 that sort of thing intermixed with flatwater. If there are hard 2s or 3s or more I carry a dedicated WW paddle for that. My Zav is a white water model - not for racing - but great for tripping. I'm very happy with it and it is pretty darn rugged for 13 ozs or whatever it is. My tripmates think I'm crazy - so you need to be prepared to take some ribbing.

your lookin at a twisted type
"Only twisted types use bent shaft on whitewater."

Where would we be without a few twisted types along on the trip, eh?

Brings to mind the “crooked” tunes of the french canadian traditional music scene.

Sometimes its good to break out of the mold - try something wild and crazy!

A lot of opinions…
and I’d agree that it really depends on the individual, so I’ll just tell you my current, straight, traditional paddle, Shaw and Tenney Maine Guide Paddle. Was it worth the price, to me, yes I love the paddle it works fine for in water recovery, and the grip makes it a more versatile paddle than would be expected. Shaw and Tenney doesn’t recommend it for regular use because of the large blade, but I like that because my paddle partner usually spends more time taking photos than paddling, and I can move the canoe quite well by myself with the larger blade.

I have a Shaw and Tenny too.
Nice traditional paddles. I love mine. Mine is a very long beaver tail in ash. Maine Guide model. I use it as a stand up paddle on trips like the Allagash.

This post inspired me to go out and

– Last Updated: Dec-07-11 8:46 AM EST –

swing my Kettlewell Special for a while. I've had it for years and never really thought too much about wether or not it was worth it. The thing did take some getting used to, with that tip being way down there and all, but it is a beautifully crafted paddle made from a gorgeous piece of cherry. I used to get a little "zing" during the forward slice, but that seems to have gone away. User error, probably. I think I was just pushing it too hard. The grip felt a tad small at first, but it works fine for the Indian thing I tend to do with it and I did shave the round shaft to ovalize it some. Ray varnishes the entire paddle, so I just rubbed the grip stations silky-smooth with #0000 steel wool. Feels great now that it's broken-in.

I mostly sit now, so it doesn't get that much use, but, even so, I'd have to say it was easily worth the money.

Is it a hobby, fitness or health?
When I set my personal budget for the year I look at how much spending I’ll allow in those 3 catagories. Since I consider paddling expenditures “health”, I allow more spending than fitness or hobby catagories.

Travel, a PFD or another paddle are reasonable things to spend money on provided I don’t go over the total budgeted amount. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it…LOL

In a word…
YES… A good paddle makes a big difference.

Ease of handling, paddle weight, efficient power,

definitely worth the money–to a point. I wouldn’t spend $500 for a paddle…

different mindset
Canoers seldom spend more than a $130 for a paddle. Kayakers generally start buying paddles at the $130 price point. I own 6 paddles worth more than $500; all kayak paddles. It means that I don’t think twice about spending $200 on a canoe paddle that feels and looks good.

Not to stereotype, but how many fancy heels/boots/flats has a significant-other bought costing over a $100 which are used maybe 2-3 times a year?

The OP stated that he paddles 5-7 weeks a year. That’s practically one day a week. By no means is that casual paddling, that’s some extended boat time. If it were me, I would definitely be looking at gear making me more comfortable on the water.

Remember, paddles are easier to collect than boats.

Canoeists seldom spend more
than $130? Perhaps in a store environment but I have a passel of over %400 canoe paddles and friends with a similar collection. I think the least I paid lately was $100 for a tripping paddle that was going to get beat on.

At that price you can bet they are used. Far too expensive for wall ornaments.

Problem with this thread is that the OP
specifically and rationally put limits on the issue, and then many ignored him. He wants a straight shaft, traditional wood paddle, and he wants to know whether he should spend a lot, or just choose a good, medium priced paddle.

He doesn’t want, and doesn’t need, people telling him that he should get a carbon bent shaft, or a slalom paddle, or a double bladed wonder or whatever.

I’ve noticed a tendency for folks to offer advice from outer space when the person asking the question has already rationally delimited the scope of the issue. Sometimes I think people don’t read the OP inquiry, and/or don’t scan what others have suggested.

generically speaking
There are a few of us who make a minority. If you consult the percentages, my statement remains true. Canoers seldomly spend more than $130 on a paddle.

not from outer space
Usually the higher priced the paddle the lighter it is without sacrificing strength.

That is IMO the deciding factor when you do seven week trips.That’s a fair amount of mileage and every ounce adds up.

As far as what most canoeists do who enter a shop that may be totally irrelevant. Most people entering Beans boat bike and ski dept do not paddle seven weeks a year.

You’re Right
So let me say, sure, go ahead treat yourself and buy another similar fancier paddle that’s lighter and more expensive. The psychological and physical benefits are usually greater than the incremental costs incurred. At least you’ll have a backup paddle. As a paddle junkie, I try to use a different paddle each time I hit the water. And as I do this, I really do appreciate what my canoe guru would always say: “your paddle is the most important piece of equipment.”

You are 100% correct
I plead guilty as charged.

I made the decision to go graphite and bent but I need to keep in mind those things are not for everyone.

Personal preference?
I think that it’s always going to be a personal choice. I’m still using the same paddle I did twenty-five years ago. It’s just a light poplar, beaver tail shaped, straight shaft wooden paddle. There’s nothing special about it other than it’s taken me a lot of places. It’s held my tarp up in the rain, it’s been my walking stick on tricky portages. I think it cost me twenty and I looked at similar ones recently and they’re around forty now. I’m not a racer, I just do trips and recreational paddling.I guess it’s all about what you want to do with your paddle. For me, principally, I just want something easy to use and not so expensive I worry about abusing it when I put it to those “other” camp side uses.