Is the Paddle Worth it?

I would say
No more like $150 for a good paddle. More than that and I will pass.

Yes, Kayakers do have to spend more. Then again… it’s 2 paddles.

prefer lite weight
I prefer lightweight especially on long trips.

A one pound difference in weight can add up to over 7- tons more weight lifted in just one day.

I use an 7 oz ZRE. AT 50 strokes a minute add up to over 15,000 lbs I lift in a 12 hour day…multiply that by three for a paddle weighs a pound more.

Extra weight equals more fatigue, equals less efficiency, equals slower pace,equals discomfort,equals lack of enjoyment.

Straight wood paddles
yes there is a difference in performance between paddles at different price levels. The low end paddles are heavy, have thick blunt blades, and crude grips. Going up past the $30 river beaters, gets you a better shaped grip (more labor so more cost), laminated shafts, laminated blades, oval shafts, and better materials. Going completely bonkers with price, gets you some very pretty woodworking, but very small improvements in performance. Past the $150 level paddles start to get specialized. Lightweight, go fast bentshafts. Rugged big whitewater sticks. Willowy freestyle sticks. And hang on your wall art work paddles.

For your stated usage there are many good wooden straight paddles. For better underwater moves, the blade edges and cross section will make a difference.

The oval shaft that slides easily thru your hand. The grip that gives you control and not blisters or cramps. The light weight that gives you smiles at the end of the day and not sore shoulders. They all matter. And you get to decide which combination feels best for you. And it will be a combination of many design and construction features that come together to make your dream paddle.

My personal favorites in wood are Gillespie and Foxworx. Lightweight, good grips, thin blades, good entry and catch. I paddle mostly with bent shafts, and in wooden construction they are my favorites. They make good straights also.

Good paddling,

Bill