Is this repairable?

Hello everyone. First time posting on here and as of last week, first time owning a canoe. I found this beat up one online and was wondering if it looks like it could be repaired. I’ve worked a little bit with fiberglass in the past so I’m not worried about that. What concerns me is how to possibly get it back into the proper shape. If it can be fixed what do you think I should offer her for it? Thanks so much.
https://offerup.com/item/detail/1084427468/

That white stuff on the hull is it flaking at all? If so very much no.

Otherwise that’s probably more work than you realize.

I haven’t gone out to see in it person yet so I’m not sure about what may or may not be flaking. So are you saying if the gel coat has been worn down so much that the fibers are actually exposed? Unfortunately I think Offerup compresses the photos so zooming in isnt much of an option.

I’m just trying to find a cheap way to take my nephews out on the water.

Fiberglass is nearly always repairable.
That being said, you are looking at a ton of work there.
Serious cleaning followed by a little sanding before some glass work in and out of it where it’s broken. Then a lot more sanding.
After that you can address the bent aluminum. You would be way better off doing more shopping and finding something in better shape.
Normal wear? I don’t consider a hole in the hull to be normal wear myself.

1 Like

It might be repairable after a fashion, but unless you already have epoxy and fiberglass lying around, given the investment you will need to make in materials, not even considering time, I suspect you could find something better for less total investment.

You might be able to jack the bent gunwale out to an approximately correct position, but it will always look bent, although that might not affect performance too much.

The most I would consider offering for that canoe is to haul it away free of charge, and I am not sure that I would even offer that.

1 Like

No…if flaking it’s sun burnt and the fabric of the glass is failing. Rub your hand across if you get splinters. It’s way too much work for cheap.

Ah ok. I guess I’ll just have to go in person.

You might want to price the repair materials.
https://www.clcboats.com/shop/products/boat-building-supplies-epoxy-fiberglass-plywood/mas-epoxy-kit-economy-3.html

Yes the kits are for full wood boats but you would be getting same type stuff. Yes you might find some cheaper but not likely same. Cost is representative.

1 Like

Yikes!

Run away!

1 Like

That’s kinda the vibe I’ve been getting. I was just hoping with maybe some cheap automotive fiberglass I could get it good enough for at least a lake.

The time, effort and money will all be more than you think. Plus, it will still be a clapped out, old canoe. You can find something better.

If you want to paddle, skip it. If you want to fix a boat, go for it.

1 Like

I got a fiberglass canoe that needed repair, for free. I would NOT pay any money for the boat in the add. If you can get it free, it would still be a big project, but if you pay for it, your just paying to remove somebody else’s trash.

1 Like

agree w/ loeb1. I’d, if this was 15- 20 years ago, offer to take it off their hands… I have re-resined de-resined glass hulls with a thin coat of g-flex ( Pre Kaz Berry built Millbrook Flashback) successfully. Straightening that gunwale out is gonna’ suck, though thinking, if it’s aluminum, a nice straight 4x4, 10’ long or so, and some c-clamps along the thwart top pull it out would get you close; and cheap automobile resin, if polyester, ain’t gonna’ cut it. G-Flex is king, and not cheap, but wets out bigly, so a little can go a long way. Whatever, use an epoxy resin. Pretty darn cool design imo, especially for your slow clear Fl waters. Looks fast.

I’ve given it up as even an option. I was hoping for a cheap diy repair but everyone has said it would be a nightmare. We recently purchased our first canoe, a 30 year old plastic Mohawk. But it has no hole, leaks or previous repairs and we took it out on the springs for the first time today.

The short answer is “why?”. The slightly longer answer is that if you have fiberglass skills, why aren’t you making your own? There are plans-o-plenty online. I wouldn’t waste time looking at that hunk of junk that should be on the roadside awaiting pick up.