island quaarsut interesting

How ‘bout the Newt?
As far as I know there are none within the continental borders over here - I am kinda fascinated by the idea of a sub-15’ boat with an 18.5 inch beam otherwise equipped as a full use boat (at least as far as I can tell from the pictures). Seems like it’d have the spritely quality of my Vela but be even lower profile etc. What’s its intended weight/size range?

I
too am interested in the Newt…I’ve been working with kids…lately…teaching rolling and safety skills…the Newt is looking like exactly what I need in my fleet.

sub 110 pound people just can’t horse around boats designed for heavier people anymore than a person going running (with a size 8 foot)would want to have a size 15 shoe and lots of socks to “just pad it out” (the industry montra, for years now)

I actually have run into youth that were physically unable to tip over an Anas Acuta

Best Wishes

Roy

Measurements of the Qaarsut 18

– Last Updated: Jan-31-07 7:48 AM EST –

Hi Greyak. Just got the measurements you were wanting.
From the plans: Length 18 feet 1/2 inches
Beam 21 and 3/8 inches
From the plug (which has half the mold wrapped around it at the moment so is not absolutely accurate): Deck Height fore of cockpit 13 inches
Deck Height aft of cockpit 8 inches
Volumes will have to wait until we crack a boat out.

From what you were saying I guess you are looking for something a little more extreme. I have looked at a few extreme boats and am certainly interested, but as yet we are a very small company any cannot afford the luxury of making boats that do not appeal to a large number of people. That time will come because I am in this business to enjoy myself and give people what they want, but for the time being I have to pay the bills and development costs of making new boats. Hope you get to try one of the new Qaarsut 18's at some point. You might like it.
Cheers
Gavin

Newt

– Last Updated: Jan-31-07 7:53 AM EST –

I sent a Newt to Sea Kayak Georgia a couple of years ago. Cheri Perry was playing in it at one of their symposia. Maybe give Marsha a call (912 786 8732) and see if she knows of it's whereabouts.
The problem with marketing a boat like that is that the cost of production is not significantly different to that of a full size boat. What you end up with is a relatively expensive small boat which most kids grow out of quite quickly. However on the plus side, what you also end up with are kids who are able to develop the skills they need to sit in an adults boat as soon as they are big enough, and immediately get a lot out of it.
Gavin
Here is a link to a pic of our first Newts with the team who made them. Forgive my indulgence.
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2087178270100353162EjuZjR

Thanks. Was hoping a bit lower volume
Pretty standard Brit style dimensions. Was hoping the Greenland DNA might express one or two more dominant genes.

For me (so who cares?), those specs will make it another “also ran”. There are just so many 17.5’ to 18’ by 21-22" fairly high decked kayaks like that already.

Oh well, having another choice is good - and I’m certainly not complaining about seeing more options in this category - with this one looking really good.

It’s the category itself that’s problematic - with kayaks sized for the long expeditions I’ll likely never go on (and could rent gear for if I did), and middle of the road handling to cover the most bases.

I see no light lean fast day trippers (day paddles being what most people actually do most of the time) that are optimized for ticking off miles in mixed conditions and rolling (both being what I mostly do).

The Qaarsut 18 I was sort of hoping to see - with say 20" beam and 11"/7" decks - would have been a step in that direction without being too extreme (though a more extreme version could be cool too. Picture a Qaarsut 19 - that’s 19’ x 19" with 10" fore and 6" aft… but you’d be crazy to produce such a kayak).

I have have three options:

A. Settle for generic sized kayaks designed with volume to load for expedition/camping use, or their cousins the smaller but also shorter, no narrower, and slower playboats. Either has me drag more boat around than I need, fighting more wind, and maintain average speeds a bit slower than I want to go.

B. I’ll have to design and build something myself. Would like to do at some point anyway - just no space to work for a while.

C. Compromise on something that splits the difference between average and ideal a bit. So far that list has one kayak: Björn Thomasson’s “Njord”. Gets 80% or more what I’m after. Certainly close enough to leave both my QCC and SOF on shore a lot (if not replacing them altogether), and almost sweet enough to put off my own ideas for a while…

Sorry, didn’t mean to hijack the thread. The Qaarsut 18 does look very good and I hope you sell a lot so I have better odds of getting to try one. Even with just that one picture I like it better than most.

What you end up with…
“What you end up with is a relatively expensive small boat which most kids grow out of quite quickly.”

AND some women. I’ve met a number of dedicated female paddlers who would love a boat such as the Newt. Mystics are sought after for this cohort. The Newt looks much more refined.