Isle Royale National Park Pics

-- Last Updated: Jan-08-06 3:25 PM EST --

If anyone is interested, here's a link to my website where I have posted photos and video (a broadband connection is highly recommended) from my September 2005 circumnavigation of Isle Royale National Park by sea kayak:

http://homepage.mac.com/bentleywhitman/Menu6.html

I've also posted this in the Wildnerness Tripping forum but since most folks hang out here...

very nice
Cool to see some pics from IR. We paddled up their for 10 days last August.

Seems (from the pics at least) that you had some decent weather.

We’re going to do a circum… this summer.

BTW, how was your paddle along the long stretch of the north shore between Windigo and Todd Harbor?

What did you find was your favorite area of the island for paddling?

Thxs for posting the pics!

Damon…

Re: Isle Royale

– Last Updated: Jan-08-06 8:55 AM EST –

"Seems (from the pics at least) that you had some decent weather."
We budgeted two days for weather and needed them both. A huge storm kept us in camp for two days with 35 knot winds and 10' seas. But the rest of the trip was bluebird.

"BTW, how was your paddle along the long stretch of the north shore between Windigo and Todd Harbor?"
The "North Shore Marathon" as I call it was a real treat. Our plan to paddle from Hugginin Cove to Todd Harbor or Little Todd Harbor was met with an unfavorable weather forecast, so we paddled to Birch Island in order to beat the storm. It was a long day (25 miles, 10 hours in the boats) but it was worthwhile.
If you are a competent paddler and pick your day to paddle, the North Shore isn't that bad. There are numerous cobble beaches that can be used for rest stops if the weather is good. However, with a north wind, they might not be possible to land on. It's also very remote there, so help is not very close, but in my opinion, this made it the most scenic part of the trip.

"What did you find was your favorite area of the island for paddling?"
As anyone whose paddled Isle Royale will tell you, the Five Fingers area is proabably the most scenic--the campsites are beautiful, the fish are plentiful, and the waters calm.

Thanks for the pics
I really enjoyed your shots of the Five Fingers area. The sunrise pics were wonderful also. I’ll now have to add IR to my “to do” list of paddling locations.