It's all a question of size....

Pikabike…
Thank you for the tips on packing and your experience with the small hatch openings. I do think I could handle it, and it wouldn’t be my first choice, but if the kayak was right I would deal with it.

I agree, strength training, which I do less consistently than in the past, will help immensely. Need to make more of an effort. I guess I might have to paddle just a bit harder if I want to paddle a bigger kayak.

By the way, ghee travels very well and is wonderful to have along on a trip. It’s my fat of preference :slight_smile:

Someone suggested the Impex Force Cat 3, which I have paddled and liked, but when I took a closer look at Canoecopia I couldn’t figure out where the additional volume was. It seemed very low volume in the rear, maybe more room in the bow, but I couldn’t believe overall it had any more volume than the Vela as indicated by the stats.

It seems logical that even another foot of length would make a difference.

Thanks again for the great advice
I think I’ll wander down to the demo day at RKC and then contact some other dealers. I do plan to take another look at the Silhouette as well as several other kayaks mentioned here. Wonder where I can try a Tide Race Explore S?

I do have small, lightweight, backpacker type gear. The cook set is for 2, not large. I have a small stove and carry a bottle of white gas. Maybe I should leave my teddy bear at home!

I like narrow kayak with a low deck, maybe that’s my problem!

Also try the Legend
I believe the cockpit size is the same, but there’s more volume to the boat.

I just took my Shadow on a camping trip for 4 days and had tons of room (granted it’s a higher volume boat than the Legend or Silhouette).

Fully loaded, I had to work to edge the Shadow and most people find the boat is too “tippy” to their likes.

Seeward’s quality is excellent.

Tybee Island
If there ever was an excuse to travel to try out a kayak :slight_smile:

Savannah Canoe and Kayak carries Tide Race, Sea Kayak Georgia carries SKUK, as you know.

Tide Race can also be tried out in NYC, nykayak.com

Break up the tent…

– Last Updated: May-02-10 9:51 AM EST –

Into small pieces; fly, body and poles. Get an extra stuff sack for the fly, line the tent body stuff sack with a trash compactor bag, and you can stuff these into the ends of the boat. The poles can pack next to the skeg box. No need to buy tapered dry bags for the pointy ends. You might want to add a piece of cord for easier retrieval.

Ditto the suggestion for the Silouette...

Tackling the problem
Yep, I used to do weight training regularly when I was bike racing (even a little in the summer), and I continued it off and on for years afterward. It stabilized an old shoulder crash injury, in addition to boosting strength overall.

Then I stopped for several years and noticed the difference at least in winter and spring. So late last year I made a commitment to resume, and it has been worth the effort.

I find the Explorer LV takes more effort to paddle at slower speeds, relative to the 16.5-footers I’ve paddled. But for a bit more effort, it seems to settle in nicely somewhere around 4.5 mph? (I should borrow a GPS and check this.)

I just wish edging the loaded Explorer were easier. It’s easy when unloaded. And I can lie all the way down on the back deck while sitting in the seat. Like, if the boat had sponsons, I could probably sleep in it.

Maybe we need to ignore cockpit volume and add up ONLY the hatch compartment volumes, to get a better idea of useful storage space.

Good luck finding what you want. If you ever come out this way and I have the Pilgrim Expedition, you’re welcome to try it.

QCC