Its Miller Time

The river, not the beer…

It felt like spring as I drove up to the Upper Millers (Royalston to Athol) in central MA. The last time I had my whitewater boat out was also on the Uppers Millers, but it was back in November, so I was afraid I might be a little rusty. It worked out fine. The river was at a perfect level for me - class II+, but still plenty of features. Here is the crew doing some surfing below the first railroad bridge.

I did a few jet ferries, but that wave was a little too big for my surfing skills.

We had a big group – 18 boats - 8 canoes (including 5 nice Millbrooks) and 10 kayaks. I got to paddle a Millbrook Outrage (the blue and white boat), and that is definitely my next boat.

A few pictures (and the video) here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/eckilson/albums/72157692082137091

Looks like you had one of those Brit boats, a SilverBirch, amongst your flock. That keen green banana, n’er past ? Young lady named Mel I met this past December is quite pleased with her’s, a Covert in the 9-footish realm, I believe. What is the Outrage sized out as? Mr. John doesn’t list the Outrage’s sizes on his Millbrook site, and I remember that Mad River took the original Berry mold and beefed it up into an XL mod for we larger, 6-foot-plus/220-pound-plus specimens. I always was led to believe that the original Outrage sizing would be too tender for my beefy 6-foot/225-pounder frame. I’m an XL dude, I suppose. No offense, but I surmised you might be, too.

My last hurrah canoe purchases, lingering on the backburner these past 4 years whilst I await the impending economic doom of sputtering, 15+ year old automotive transports, and young daughters’ college bills and pending wedding soirees, are focused towards a Savage Blackwater, and one of Mr Kazmierczek’s 16-footers for poling/general use, being either an AC/DC or a Coho. But I still entertain notions of torturing my knees down the Middle and Upper Yough nestled in a lithe hull. Subliminal fears resonate with aramid/s-glass crunching sounds, so the polyethylene thumps of a Silver Birch seem to outdrum any considerations towards Shachos and 20/20’s and the ilk.

@canoeswithduckheads said:
Looks like you had one of those Brit boats, a SilverBirch, amongst your flock. That keen green banana, n’er past ? Young lady named Mel I met this past December is quite pleased with her’s, a Covert in the 9-footish realm, I believe.

Yes - it’s a Covert.

Dan

Dan offered to let me hop in, but it didn’t happen Saturday. Maybe other time. I’ve paddled an Option (it was OK) and an Octane (wasn’t big on it).

What is the Outrage sized out as? Mr. John doesn’t list the Outrage’s sizes on his Millbrook site, and I remember that Mad River took the original Berry mold and beefed it up into an XL mod for we larger, 6-foot-plus/220-pound-plus specimens. I always was led to believe that the original Outrage sizing would be too tender for my beefy 6-foot/225-pounder frame. I’m an XL dude, I suppose. No offense, but I surmised you might be, too.

12" composite Outrage - boy did it paddle nice. Plenty big for me and I am 5’10", 225 lbs. I often see guys bigger than us in the 9’ Octane, so I think those rules about big guys in big boats are long gone. The Outrage is the blue boat here, and Rick (about our size) sure paddles it well:

Rick

The Outrage is not listed on the solo canoes page, but is is mentioned here:

http://www.millbrookboats.com/what's_new.htm

The red boat that Kaz is paddling is a Blink.

My last hurrah canoe purchases, lingering on the backburner these past 4 years whilst I await the impending economic doom of sputtering, 15+ year old automotive transports, and young daughters’ college bills and pending wedding soirees, are focused towards a Savage Blackwater, and one of Mr Kazmierczek’s 16-footers for poling/general use, being either an AC/DC or a Coho.

I’m in the same boat (pun intended). My daughter is getting married this year, and that takes a bite out of the boat-buying budget. Maybe next year for me. I don’t pole enough to justify and AC/DC or a Coho, but those are beautiful boats.

But I still entertain notions of torturing my knees down the Middle and Upper Yough nestled in a lithe hull. Subliminal fears resonate with aramid/s-glass crunching sounds, so the polyethylene thumps of a Silver Birch seem to outdrum any considerations towards Shachos and 20/20’s and the ilk.

I hear you, but I am leaning toward something a little bigger, so that takes out the polyethylene boats. Every once in a while you can find a royalex boat in decent condition, but they are getting rare and expensive. So that leaves a new Millbrook. I do tend to gravitate towards rocks, but with that crazy paint job you don’t see the scratches. :wink:

Ahh, those crazy Kazimierczyk paint jobs. I like them. When I first saw them on the Millbrook website I was instantly thrown back to my pre-teen days (takes a strong-armed outfielder to reach that plate), circling outside the Baltimore Civic Center in the waft of roasting peanuts and elephant excrement, awaiting the Ringling Brothers “Greatest” show (Ali always begged to differ). Those giant balloons spawned from a lava-lamp owning impressionist obviously must have been within Kaz’s childhood sitelines, too.

Well, thanks, EE-rider. You have the Outrage placed within my radar of hope. (Certainly not the Blink, which would have to be renamed beneath my knees -momentarily, that is, before beneath he waves - the TearDrop Express. Or maybe Stinkeye For the Flounderous Guy.

Hope you, daughter and the betrothed have a great wedding.

Beer time? Mmmmm. Boondocks an average pub is just a mile up river from the bulkhead.mmmmm

My daughters are long since married. College and weddings are budget drainers for sure.

Truth is I really don’t need another boat. Not sure that matters though…

“Need” is seldom part of that equation. While I haven’t been able to paddle, I have been ogling boats. There are 2 waiting for me on my rack.

@string said:
“Need” is seldom part of that equation. While I haven’t been able to paddle, I have been ogling boats. There are 2 waiting for me on my rack.

Come zither, String.
You look full of pluck.
Come paddle us on.
We’d like to give a…
Fanciful retort to your ogling ways.
#SeaDoo” throws up jetski spray.
Perhaps be more proper
with those hull infatuations,
serving unrack of ribs
from Adam’s Eve of instigation.

I can remember myself one time standing along the shoreline of Lake Raystown, my mouth agape and adrool as I ogled an armada of shiny new Hemlocks and Swifts and Placid Boatworks Aphrodites. Not since Lena Olin in (only) a bowler had a hull - now a whole Hefner mansion party of 'em! - been so…captivating.

Well, for every man, and boy, there’s his Pamlico, I suppose.

Nothing (almost) like running your hands over a new , gleaming hull and I’m not talking plastic.

@string said:
Nothing (almost) like running your hands over a new , gleaming hull and I’m not talking plastic.

But a new boat is so much work - takes a while to get it scratched up just right…

IMGP6942

As Jerry says “every scratch tells a story”.

And that first one really hurts.