I've Found My "Next Boat"

I’ve decided on the Perception Tribute 12. When visiting the kayak outfitter, this boat was placed alongside the SP Tsunami, and the Tsunami 135. The SP had such a nice low profile that I was worried that I wouldn’t be able to use my camera. The seat also was very low, and lacked support. The 135 was a bit more than I needed, although its a beauty. The Perception fit me perfectly, and even fits inside my CRV, so I decided to keep it there until tomorrow when I can try it out on the water! :slight_smile:

It was great being able to select from several of the choices offered here at the forum. Now I just need to head to the next forum to find some new friends to take paddling! Thanks again!

-Susan

Congrats!
I’m sure you’ll love your new boat. Have fun!

did you get to paddle any of them…

– Last Updated: Aug-24-12 8:39 AM EST –

...or just sit in them? The proof is in the paddling, to a large extent. Edit- Oh, I see, you already bought it. Well, take your time on your maiden voyage and really put the boat through its' paces, see how it turns, does it feel stable 'enough' (though keep in mind that a slightly-twitchy-feeling boat will likely feel stable with time/practice), can you manhandle it around without too much effort, does it glide well/does it seem fast (or pokey), can you load it onto/into your car solo, etc, etc....

Take a little time and make sure it really does check all or most of your boxes. If it doesn't, return it and try something else, making sure to paddle it before you buy.

Far as the Tribute 12 goes, there are indeed some things that are cool about it... it seems well-sized to you, it's a pretty light boat, and it's not expensive. It's also has perimeter deck lines/a good amount of deck rigging (you need something to grab onto if you go for an unexpected swim, and to get back into your boat).

But the lack of a front bulkhead on the Tribute isn't so great, if you ever intend to be far from shore with it.

Thus, you may want to get some floatation bags and stuff them in the nose of the boat (and then check to make sure they will STAY in there, as some boats have odd shapes where the bags might not seat so well), so that the boat can't get quite so flooded in the event of a capsize.

This could wind up being a very important safety consideration, as its often hard to re-enter and bail out a boat that is 2/3rds flooded (whereas with a boat that has both front and rear bulkheads, only the 'center third' gets flooded).

Far as the Tsunami SP goes, (and probably water under the bridge I know)... a low seat can actually be a plus, in that it lowers your center of gravity and increases stability. And if the backband doesn't feel right/supportive, that is an easy thing to replace. A lot of ppl toss the backband that comes with their boats and get something better (it's kinda like bicycle seats).

Best of luck to ya, hopefully the Tribute is awesome for you, but whether it is or isn't, may you have the kind of boat that makes you want to hit the water early and often. =]

Make sure to get float bag too

– Last Updated: Aug-24-12 8:01 AM EST –

If I am reading above correctly that this boat does not have a front bulkhead, don't leave the lot without a float bag up front. Your profile lists an offshore paddling location, around an island with possible currents that could surprise you. It would not be fun to find yourself swimming alongside a boat that is pointed straight down a distance from shore.

Congratulations!
You can probably use a shorter paddle than you were using in your old kayak. There are small-blade and/or small-shaft paddles that work well for smaller folks.