J Bracket Design or Dimensions?

As an ongoing design exercise, I have a half ton 5x10 multi-purpose trailer. It can be configured to haul crushed rock, furniture, lumber, or best of all, boats. Canoes go inverted on adjustable padded cross bars, and I have been hauling an inverted kayak on the crossbars with V-shaped foam blocks. I would like to design some J-brackets to haul kayaks on their sides, which seems to be the preferred method, and would allow for more boats during shuttles. Would appreciate any advice on the dimensions of the J shape, so the brackets would accomodate most kayaks.

Don’t have
the dimensions, but I have some photos of them on my utility trailer. http://community.webshots.com/album/75339788oTcAIx/1

I made them out of 2x4’s and 2" strap.

Yakima
Why not go to your local Yakima dealer (assuming they’re friendly), open a box, and trace the profile on a sheet of paper?

I’ll try to give you …
…the dimensions of the Thule.

I’ll describe it as looking at it with the back on the right and the “J” to it’s left.

Take a piece of paper and draw a vertical line on it 16-1/2" long, (you will have to use a scale unless you have large paper). This will be the back of the J cradle.

From the bottom of the line measure up 6" and put a dot on the line, (call it A)

From the bottom of the line again using a compass swing an arc 6-1/2" at approximately 100 degrees left.

Now using the compass from the first dot (A) bisect the ark with a spread of 10-1/2". Call that arc intersection point (B).

Draw a line from (B) to the bottom of the line and that is the bottom of the “J”

Now from (B) swing another arc with a 7" spread off to its left, and a little above it(approximately 40 degrees)

Then from (A) swing an arc 14-1/2" long to bisect the arc above.

Connect this intersection with (B) and that is the upswing of the J.

Hope you can understand this.

Cheers,

JackL

Are you locked into DIY?
If so, I can understand it. But I love my Malone J’s. Unfortunately they are $90 per boat.

Jim

Addendum to the above
The bottom of the J should be a straight line parallel with your cross bars.

cheers,

JackL

Everyone seems to have a different
idea. Redmonds design is actually pretty good and simple. Adapting to a rack would take a little thought.

I made mine after Ross Leidy’s design. I have used them on top of my Silverado for a while. Go to http://www.blueheronkayaks.com/ I used cardboard to make a template of the hull then made the form similar to his. Ash veneer works well and I would suggest thicker material than I used if you can find it. Smear the thickened epoxy on the pieces, wrap them in celophane and bend it around and clamp with small pieces of 2x4 to even out the pressure. Clean up the edges the next day, glass them on both sides and you are done. I cut a notch in the top to run a strap through. The only thing I did different was not to make the block/metal bar stock clamp. I use Yakima racks and just getting some SS carriage bolts and using the round plastic clamps and wing nuts locked them into position very well.

They are going into the reserve bin now for times when I transport the double and single together. They do work well but the height of the truck makes the loading and unloading a stretch and I am tall. On a shorter vehicle they would be great.

It may be more work than you had in mind but they do draw attention.

Joe