Jacket for brisk morning paddle

Looking for a light weight jacket - wind or rain proof… something for a early morning paddle when it’s a little cold out, but nothing bulky/thick.
What do you have?!

Nylon REI splash jacket with vent zippers in both upper arms. Ext orange. It’s about six years old. I need a new one.

Google Paddling Jackets… NRS REI Kokotat and many others Waterproof and breathable. I have a NRS Endurance You dont need a dryseal gasketed neck or wrists but those are options.

I wear a Kokatat Tropos Otter Jacket. It’s bright orange so the visibility factor is a plus. But if it’s chilly, quite windy, and overcast, I’ll wear the top of my drysuit since GoreTex offers better wind protection.

My Bean rain jacket meets that criteria.

NRS donated Phantom Jackets to our OperationDeepBlue.org expedition. I’ve been using mine for running as well as paddling. Far more of a wind/mist jacket than a comprehensive paddle jacket but I’m very impressed with it’s breathability and the hood design preserves peripheral vision which has been great when paddling with a group or running on roads.

See you on the water,
Marshall Seddon
The River Connection, Inc.
9 W. Market St.
Hyde Park, NY
845-229-0595 main
845-242-4731 mobile
Main: www.the-river-connection.com
Store: www.the-river-connection.us
Facebook: fb.me/theriverconnection

G’day…google:OutdoorPlay.com…they have multiple paddle jackets in stock: NRS/Level Six/Kokatat/Immersion Research. The jackets are usually on sale, but you can easily receive 15-20% off for just signing up to receive their emails. Great company to do business with. Exceptional customer service. Free shipping(2days)…

Both my wife and I have North Face Venture ones and they have served us well. We are both on our thirds over a thirty year period

Love these suggestions… but living in Canada we have limited if any access to NRS items. The shipping from a few companies is over $40 alone… even paddle shops are far and few between.

Most standard jackets work fine - specialized jackets may have tighter cuffs.

Was at a paddle show (Canoecopia) and heard Cliff Jacobson talking about rain gear - he suggested layering two light jackets with a PFD in between. Put on the second jacket when the rain starts or picks up. That way neither jacket has to be particularly bulky.

Kokatat Storm Cag is wonderful because it goes on an off vert easily right over your PFD and other gear.

Frank, where you been? Just wake up from a coma?

@Photecs said:
Love these suggestions… but living in Canada we have limited if any access to NRS items. The shipping from a few companies is over $40 alone… even paddle shops are far and few between.

MEC has got you covered. They are the REI of Canada.
https://www.mec.ca/en/products/watersports/watersports-clothing/paddling-tops-and-pants/c/385