Jackson All Water 9.0 Kayak- Condition Questions/Appraisal- Good deal?

So, I’m still in the market for a solid crossover kayak, as I live close to numerous lakes and the Potomac River. It just seems that a jack of all trades kayak will suit me best, as I enjoy paddling every environment possible.

Unfortunately, my kayaking expertise isn’t at the same level as many of you who frequent this forum, so I’m looking for a bit of advice on one potential purchase in particular.

About a five hour drive away an individual is selling a Jackson All Water for $600. It looks pretty cool to me, but I’d like an honest opinion on what you think of its condition and the price being asked for it. I really can’t find a tremendous amount online about this particular model, so your appraisal/advice is well appreciated here.

I’m a little concerned with the bottom “flexing” as the seller describes the indentations in the photo, although the seller says there is no serious oil-canning. I definitely want a kayak that can handle everything I ask of it, including whitewater over Class III (Class IV/Class V may be something I delve into after more experience), and I’m trying to stay within a reasonable enough budget so by springtime I can also get a new PFD, as well as a paddle, skirt, etc.

Thanks.

I don’t know the specific model, so am giving some generalizations here, beyond what I see on the online specs (Jackson Kayak).

The 9 looks to be a smaller boat, with a targeted paddler weight of 70 kg (155 lbs). Max (paddler and gear) of 100 kg (220 lbs). If you are close to or above 85 kilos (185 lbs), I would probably skip.

Crossovers in general are giving up on ability as compared to kayaks made for a specific condition. This one likely leans toward whitewater (so would be rather poor as a flat water boat, though better than a non-cross over whitewater boat). But it also probably gives up some whitewater ability. On the whole, I find crossovers are good for up to class II, and only with very well skilled paddlers (beyond my skills) in class III. I would never consider taking to class IV or beyond. These should have boats specific for the conditions.

The scratches and warping of the bottom don;t bother me much. $600 seems like an Ok price, if it fits you.

I would have serious concerns, especially at that price. The plastic on a boat that old is probably suspect or more suspect than you want in a whitewater boat. The oilcanning indicates that it’s been strapped down too tightly or rested unevenly on a hard surface, which might indicate problems with the rear foam bulkhead. The Allwater was really more of a rec kayak than a ww crossover. When I tried the Allwater, it was the only boat I was ever in where I could do a nose stall on flatwater just by leaning forward. Also, although it may not matter to you, the rear hatch cover was very small making it harder to put in and take out items. BTW, what’s up with the extra added bungee rigging on the front deck and (especially) over the rear hatch? The rec kayak type aftermarket mods give clues about what it was used for (hint: not ww), could make for a leakier boat, and give it a Frankenstein appearance.

The extra bungee or line over the hatch is a common mod in the sea kayak rock garden/surfing world. They are put there to reduce the change of the hatch cover imploding. Presumably done for the same reason here.