Jerky

Wasn’t there an extensive thread on dehdrator recipes on pnet within the last year? I just searched the archives and can’t find it. I’d appreciate a link if anybody knows where it is.

It’s jerky-making, pole fixin’, kayak repairing kind of weekend in Gambrills! Shoulda paddled this morning before the snow started, but ran errands instead. I know, I know, bad judgement. What can I say…musta been the booze talkin’!

~~Chip

Here’s one recipe…
BEEF JERKY A LA WILLIE

Categories : Beef

-------- ------------ --------------------------------

1/2 c Low salt soy sauce

1 1/4 ts Onion powder

1/3 c Worcestershire Sauce

1 1/4 ts Garlic powder

2 1/3 ts Pepper

2 tb Brown sugar

1 lb Lean beef

Liquid mesquite smoke * * use in place of smoker.

Mix all ingredients except beef to make marinade. Cut thinly sliced beef into 1/2 inch strips and marinate for 8 to 12 hours. Smoke using mesquite chips for about three hours and then finish drying in oven. If doing whole operation in oven use liquid smoke and hang strips of beef on highest rack and put shallow pan underneath to catch drippings. Turn oven on and set to lowest possible setting and leave for 6 to 8 hours until thoroughly dried. A couple of hints that I picked up from one of the cooking echos. Use toothpicks or wooden skewers to hang meat by, and put a couple of layers of paper towels in the pan to collect the drippings and save cleaning problems later on.

That thread was posted by bruce
And it had many great recipes for jerky. It was not archived… some threads are not chosen to be archived. Unfortunatley, that one was not added to the archives.

RATS!
I didn’t think too much about it at the time. Then I received a dehydrator as a gift and I was remembering seeing that thread. But thanks, Cooldoc, when it didn’t come up in search I thought I was going dingy, and I probably am, but that’s beside the point.

Fortunately, we got this heah internet and I found all kind of recipes. Got one working as I type. Marinade quite similar to above recipe. Thought I recalled the non-archived thread had some lower temp recommendations to hit the sweet spot between leathery or brittle. My recipe calls for 10-12 hours at 140 degrees, which seems a bit much.

So, the entire secrets to life are not contained in p-net archives? Another illusion shattered! Just another minor shoal in the voyage of life, I’ll get over it on the next wave.

~~Chip

Chip
Now you know, not every thread chosen to archive, and even the ones chosen stay on for about one year. Want eternity? Carve posts on granite on an offshore island. I know, my bubble was burst too.

Great luck with the jerky machine.