JetBoil Recall

-- Last Updated: Jan-05-09 8:29 PM EST --

Here's something I received as an e-mail from JetBoil today. I'm a real fan of their products (and my family has given them a pretty tough workout in a variety of conditions), but there is a recent (12/08) review in the P.net reviews that certainly gives one pause:

http://www.paddling.net/Reviews/showReviews.html?prod=1486

My guess (and hope) is that this recall is a response to the problem observed in that review. My units are older, so not part of the recall, but if you have a JetBoil (PCS or Group) I'd check to see if it is included. If the links in this don't work, go to this page:

http://www.jetboil.com/recall

IMPORTANT SAFETY NOTICE FROM JETBOIL
Dear Jetboil Consumer:

Jetboil is recalling certain Personal and Group Cooking Systems.

Jetboil has utilized three different gas valves (the "A", "B" and "C" style valves) in the production of its Personal Cooking System (PCS) and Group Cooking System (GCS). PCS and GCS units utilizing the B style valve were shipped to US retailers between July 10 and September 9, 2008, and sold through retail since July 10, 2008.

To identify the valve type of your system, please visit the recall page on our website. If you determine that the valve on your system is the silver, rectangular, unmarked B type, please use our online registration form to request a replacement burner. You will receive a pre-paid return envelop to mail your burner back to Jetboil.

Jetboil is undertaking a consumer recall of all PCS and GCS systems utilizing this B style valve, working in cooperation with the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission (www.cpsc.gov).

We have determined independently to undertake this process after receiving reports and returned units from a very limited number of end users who have experienced leaking gas and subsequent ignition of the gas leak. No injuries or property damage have been reported by these users.

PCS and GCS systems utilizing the A and C style valves continue to be fully safe and functional.

If you have a question about valve identification or the exhange process, please call 888-611-9905 or email customerservice@jetboil.com.

Sincerely,

Perry Dowst
President & CEO
Jetboil, Incorporated

A watched post never boils.

I just got one
at the REI used gear sale this past weekend. Saw the recall notice while snooping around on line looking for recipes. Fortunately it doesn’t apply to mine.

I just baked my first Outback Oven pizza on it, and it works! Just had it for dinner. Tasty! I was worried about the fuel canister overheating and exploding, a valid concern. With my traditional camp stove the fuel canister is off to the side. But the heat shield worked fine. With the Outback Oven up and running that expands what I can do with this thing dramatically–bake, use it as a frying pan, etc. Sweet! :wink:

Although yeah, an exploding stove could really ruin, not to mention shorten, your day.

PCS and GCS
I’ve used the PCS for two years and the GCS for one year. My only problem was breaking the electrode on the PCS. You have to be careful when nesting for storage not to drop the fuel canister onto the electrode. It’s a simply fix and costs $6. While I was waiting for the repair kit I lit the stove with a match.

The Jet Boil cannisters are more expensive than white gas, but the stove is so much lighter and easier to pack and clean and no worries about spilling fuel while refilling or lighting, or spilling fuel in your pack.

Fry bread in the outback is easy, too. Like pizza without the toppings. There is a bannock video on solotripping.com that shows pouring rum on the bread just as it finishes. I’m more likely to drink the rum and put butter and jelly on the bread.

proprietary fuel
Jetboil pushes their own fuel cannisters (“Use only Jetboil 20%-80% isobutane-propane blend”), but I’ve been using an MRS cannister without incident.

Is there any reason I should really be using the proprietary fuel instead? Of course they’d like me to buy from them, but I can’t tell a difference.

MSR vs. JetBoil fuel
The MSR works fine, but the JetBoil cannister fits in the pot for compact stowage and the MSR one does not. And I will say that I’ve never experienced any less total cooking time using the smaller JetBoil cannister vs the MSR. There have been other p.net discussions about this topic in the past, so you might do a search to see what others have said about overall useability of each type.