Jetboil Stove

Anybody tried one? Looks like something I could add to my growing cookstove collection. If ya don’t know what I’m talking about, check out www.jetboil.com

Depends
It’s best for solo ultralight uses. For that venue, it really shines. That is, heating and rehydrating foods very quickly for one person. It is reliable for standard canister venues, is well designed, and is quick. But you’re not going to do anything besides that with the jetboil. You won’t cook a gourmet camp meal with the Jetboil, and you won’t feed a haf a dozen campers.

For it’s intended use, it is very good. Like any other item, you have to be aware what that intended use is, and evaluate if it will fulfill your needs.

Yeah, I agree.
Spent a lot of time at REI checking it out. It would be great for backpacking when I go light and use freeze dried foods. Decided against it since I eat better when paddling so bought the MSR Wind Pro. Now I decided that I will bring my White Gas Coleman Peak when paddling since the fuel on long trips start to get expensive with the fuel cans. I’ll use the Wind Pro for shorter trips. Like the convenience of the gas cans though.

no espresso
it heats water. quickly. nothing else.

I like a ‘stove’ you can cook on. espresso and toasted bagels! yeah.

steve

What they said
The previous responses pretty much covered the high and low points. I bought one for light packing (both on foot and in kayak). Not good for gourmet cooking, but just right for the purpose intended.

Jim

I told someone else
but I’ll post it again, the demo models we had in the store all had problems with the neo cover for the pot melting from the heat of the stove, which makes sense, but then it takes away the cool factor for having a small stove if it melts the easy handling sleeve on the outside of the pot, If you are looking for an easy single person stove/pot, I would say invest the money in a snowpeak titanium autoignite stove, and either a solo aluminum set from snowpeak, or a titanium one, comes with a pot lifter. But that is my gear head 2 cents.

Mixed Review
Good Points - light weight, compact, heats a couple of cups of H2O in a flash, fuel efficient

Not So Good Points - Solo cooker, limited cooking options, the electric ignitor is not always reliable, the plastic pot that covers the bottom of the unit when not in use is near impossible to remove.

As to the cozy or insulation pot cover, it will remain in tact if not placed on the stove until after its been lit. There is an initial flare that will singe the cozy if the pot is mounted on the stove when the flame is ignited.

Also looked at JB

– Last Updated: Jan-31-05 1:23 PM EST –

and decided it was too limited for my preference. As I mentioned on the Backpacker gear guide tread, I found a good value in the Alpha Ti by Northern Lights. About 3oz., folds up as compact as the Brunton Crux for $20 less, Good flame spread, Ti frame pizeo lighter attached, Good flame adjustment range. Check it out at www.bentgate.com or www.detours.us I've done some business with Bentgate and highly recommend them. They're mostly a climbing store, but have some good backpacking stuff, too.
Taj

alpha ti
from northern lights is a very nice stove, it’s almost identical to the titanium autoignite from snowpeak.

It is an advance, but other ways cheaper
As a 30 plus year extended high altitude backcountry backpacker the pluses of this stove as high efficiency fast boiling and winter use as less important for kayakers and canoeists, IMO. As pointed out it is the first attempt to use an integrated heat efficiency device to maximize the flame to this extent and to prevent loss of efficiency due to the wind, pot conduction and a secure top. As a one person solo cooker there are cheaper and nearly eqivalent and lighter more compact ways to accomplish the same thing at this time. Perhpas in a year or so we will see really more efficient compact set ups for multiple person use, but they also may not really be a better mousetrap for us boaters.

For regular users who want to maximize their fuel, stove, pot arrangement, the judicious use of a properly sized and set up wind shield around the stove, proper use of the most efficient fuel, and attention to the size of the pot matched to the stove dramatically increases efficiency, reduces time to boil, and these savings are further magnified in your favor during harsher conditions, i.e., wind, winter, altitude.

So you can get it and it will help you save some fuel and lead to faster boils, carry some less fuel, but ya don’t gotta get a new stove unless you are a stove junky. And as stated, it is not perfected yet, some hassles with it that other set ups avoid.

the thing to get your knickers in a bind
for is the new MSR liquid fuel auto ignite canister stoves. They had them at the outdoor retailer shows this last summer. Don’t know when they’ll be hitting the market. But I will be very geeked to see those. Essentially it has all the benefits of a canister stove without the detriments of them. So now I could have a lightweight, easy to light stove that I can use for winter trips without fear of having trouble with getting it to ignite!

Thanks to all.
Good info that I can use. The JB would likely suit most of my cookng needs as I normally do soups, pasta and rice meals when camping. I guess I’m an “eat to live” and not a “live to eat” guy!

I’m going to hold off awhile and look at the models you folks suggested.