Johns River NC ???

I’m trying to get a trip planned for the Johns River near Morganton NC. I need advice on put-ins,take-outs,hazards,etc.Also,are there any good camping spots.Is this river suitable for beginners. Thanks for your help.

You’re trying to get a trip planned for
a group on a river you haven’t paddled already?

Normal googling indicates 6.5 miles of fairly easy (class 1-2) water, but why did you choose this river in the first place?

g2d
Nothing was said about a group. I was just trying to get some info on this river that is near my house.

See if the link inside opens for you.
Some functions may not work for you, because you aren’t an AW member.

http://www.americanwhitewater.org/content/River/detail/id/1089/

Johns - Collettsville area
I’ve paddled this river a couple times along the Collettsville stretch. It’s Level 1 and 2, with a fair amount of rocks when it’s low. (Check American Whitewater for levels before running it). Pretty scenery.

Even at that level, unless you’re quite experienced in whitewater, I suggest you run it with a group. The Hickory Outing Club runs it often. (We are paddling a section of the North Toe River tomorrow.) I enjoy it most when the level is up.

The North Toe is a fun river
Put in at the fire station on 19, and take out at the Spring Maid Mountain Campground.

The river is high and good right now -Many long stretches of white water, and it is a great place to learn boat handling skills.

cheers,

jackL

If you don’t get any replys here,
look up Red Cross Randy and send him a e-mail.

I think he has done it with Bald Paddler.

Cheers,

jackL